Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

2D Contact problem convergence issue

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I have a convergence issue in a time domain analysis contact problem. It is a 2D problem. I tried to attach it but the site gives me an error message about the file size (6MB). The input excitation is in the form of a body load on all the domains (for the mass the value of the force is changed because it has a different density).

I have an upper beam with a low resonance frequency which matches the input excitation frequency. Another high resonance frequency stopper beam is located at the bottom. The two beams are identical in geometry and stiffness. The differences between them are
- that the top one has a proof mass while the bottom one does not have it and hence the resonance frequency is different
- mass and stiffness damping factors are different (zetatop = 0.03, zetabottom = 0.1)

You may check the attached images as well for better illustration.

Actually the value of the gap between the two beams guarantees that no collision will occur yet. I studied the deflection of the top beam solely and I know that the maximum displacement is smaller than the gap. However, it is not converging.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

3 Replies Last Post 06.04.2016, 09:55 GMT-4
Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 8 years ago 05.04.2016, 11:01 GMT-4
If you clear solutions from the model the file size will drop significantly and you can share it. You will find that feature in the Study Menu. Also clear meshes (from the the Mesh menu).
If you clear solutions from the model the file size will drop significantly and you can share it. You will find that feature in the Study Menu. Also clear meshes (from the the Mesh menu).

Posted: 8 years ago 05.04.2016, 11:09 GMT-4

Thanks. Done and you can find it attached to the original message.
[QUOTE] If you clear solutions from the model the file size will drop significantly and you can share it. You will find that feature in the Study Menu. Also clear meshes (from the the Mesh menu). [/QUOTE] Thanks. Done and you can find it attached to the original message.

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 8 years ago 06.04.2016, 09:55 GMT-4
Only two figures attached to the original message, no model.
Only two figures attached to the original message, no model.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.