Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

modelling a column for the buckling

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear friends,
I want to model a taper column with circular cross section in Comsol software and consider its buckling under self-weight, top point load and finally in existence of lateral load (static and dynamic). the problem at this point is that my column's modulus of elasticity varies linearly from bottom to the top of column.
is it possible to model this column and define a function for E(elastic modulus) in Comsol? if so, how can I do that? I will greatly appreciate you if you can let me know how to model my column.

Thanks for your time,
Warm regards,
Mojtaba

1 Reply Last Post 14.03.2016, 09:32 GMT-4
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 8 years ago 14.03.2016, 09:32 GMT-4
Hi,

To model a spatial variation in a material property, you can simply enter an expression like

100[GPa]+10[GPa/m]*Z

For more complicated functions, it might be easier to add a function my_extra_E which then can referenced like

100[GPa]+my_extra_E(Z)

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, To model a spatial variation in a material property, you can simply enter an expression like 100[GPa]+10[GPa/m]*Z For more complicated functions, it might be easier to add a function my_extra_E which then can referenced like 100[GPa]+my_extra_E(Z) Regards, Henrik

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.