Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to get comparable results from several different comsol projects?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I have built several different 2D models and get result figures from each of the model, I want to know whether it's possible for comsol to draw one figure with all these results in it.
For example, I get the Current vs Time results from several different geometries from different projects, now I want to make a comparison among those figures in one figure.

3 Replies Last Post 07.03.2016, 02:14 GMT-5
Gunnar Andersson COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 04.03.2016, 02:07 GMT-5
Hi,
I have built several different 2D models and get result figures from each of the model, I want to know whether it's possible for comsol to draw one figure with all these results in it.
For example, I get the Current vs Time results from several different geometries from different projects, now I want to make a comparison among those figures in one figure.

For 1D plots you can export numerical data from a plot or table to a file. Do this for all the models. Then import the file(s) as tables into the "master" model where you want to perform the comparison. You can plot the data in the tables using the 1D table plot.

For 2D and 3D plots you can export the data using Results > Export > Plot and import as interpolation functions.

[QUOTE]Hi, I have built several different 2D models and get result figures from each of the model, I want to know whether it's possible for comsol to draw one figure with all these results in it. For example, I get the Current vs Time results from several different geometries from different projects, now I want to make a comparison among those figures in one figure. [/QUOTE] For 1D plots you can export numerical data from a plot or table to a file. Do this for all the models. Then import the file(s) as tables into the "master" model where you want to perform the comparison. You can plot the data in the tables using the 1D table plot. For 2D and 3D plots you can export the data using Results > Export > Plot and import as interpolation functions.

Posted: 8 years ago 06.03.2016, 01:41 GMT-5

Hi,

For 1D plots you can export numerical data from a plot or table to a file. Do this for all the models. Then import the file(s) as tables into the "master" model where you want to perform the comparison. You can plot the data in the tables using the 1D table plot.

For 2D and 3D plots you can export the data using Results > Export > Plot and import as interpolation functions.

Hi,
Thank you for your reply.
I tried to follow your method, but was still confused.
Could you please give me more detailed instruction?
When I choose Export and choose the 1D plot I need in case A, which format should I choose to export?
Then in the new case B, if I want to put the plots of A and B together in B, how to import the file? I didn't find the import function node in the results node.
Thank you!
[QUOTE] [QUOTE]Hi, I have built several different 2D models and get result figures from each of the model, I want to know whether it's possible for comsol to draw one figure with all these results in it. For example, I get the Current vs Time results from several different geometries from different projects, now I want to make a comparison among those figures in one figure. [/QUOTE] For 1D plots you can export numerical data from a plot or table to a file. Do this for all the models. Then import the file(s) as tables into the "master" model where you want to perform the comparison. You can plot the data in the tables using the 1D table plot. For 2D and 3D plots you can export the data using Results > Export > Plot and import as interpolation functions. [/QUOTE] Hi, Thank you for your reply. I tried to follow your method, but was still confused. Could you please give me more detailed instruction? When I choose Export and choose the 1D plot I need in case A, which format should I choose to export? Then in the new case B, if I want to put the plots of A and B together in B, how to import the file? I didn't find the import function node in the results node. Thank you!

Gunnar Andersson COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 07.03.2016, 02:14 GMT-5

When I choose Export and choose the 1D plot I need in case A, which format should I choose to export?

Choose a .txt- (default) or .csv-file.

Then in the new case B, if I want to put the plots of A and B together in B, how to import the file? I didn't find the import function node in the results node.

1. Results > Tables: Add a table.
2. Click on Import.
3. Choose the file you exported.
4. Repeat 1-3 for the files that you want to import.
5. Results > Add a 1D plot group.
6. Add a Table Graph to the plot group.
7. Change the Table in the plot to the plot added in step 1.
8. Repeat 6-7 for the tables that you want to plot.

[QUOTE] When I choose Export and choose the 1D plot I need in case A, which format should I choose to export? [/QUOTE] Choose a .txt- (default) or .csv-file. [QUOTE] Then in the new case B, if I want to put the plots of A and B together in B, how to import the file? I didn't find the import function node in the results node.[/QUOTE] 1. Results > Tables: Add a table. 2. Click on Import. 3. Choose the file you exported. 4. Repeat 1-3 for the files that you want to import. 5. Results > Add a 1D plot group. 6. Add a Table Graph to the plot group. 7. Change the Table in the plot to the plot added in step 1. 8. Repeat 6-7 for the tables that you want to plot.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.