Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Why is Storage model in Darcy's Law time dependent?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

A simple square using Darcys Law. If I use the default "fluid and matrix properties" and make all the material properties as CONSTANTS, the result is static even if I use time dependent solver, and this can be explained from the governing equations. However, if I use "storage model" instead, make all properties CONSTANTS, including S, the result is now time dependent, which is contradictory to the governing equations (see attached figure). When density and porosity are constants, the time derivative term should be zero, which is not time dependent. Can anybody tell me why does this happen? Thanks a lot.

Regards,
Albert

4 Replies Last Post 14.01.2016, 07:54 GMT-5

Posted: 9 years ago 13.01.2016, 02:54 GMT-5
In the governing equations,the first eqation is the default "fluid and matrix properties", while the second one does represent the "storage model". The "storage model" is time dependent when S is not defined as zero.
In the governing equations,the first eqation is the default "fluid and matrix properties", while the second one does represent the "storage model". The "storage model" is time dependent when S is not defined as zero.

Posted: 9 years ago 13.01.2016, 18:15 GMT-5

Thank you for your reply, Xu. I am still confused. Look at the left side of the second equation, if porosity and density is constant, which is the case in my model, should not the left side equals to zero?

Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks.

Regards,
Tianhang
[QUOTE] In the governing equations,the first eqation is the default "fluid and matrix properties", while the second one does represent the "storage model". The "storage model" is time dependent when S is not defined as zero. [/QUOTE] Thank you for your reply, Xu. I am still confused. Look at the left side of the second equation, if porosity and density is constant, which is the case in my model, should not the left side equals to zero? Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks. Regards, Tianhang

Posted: 9 years ago 14.01.2016, 06:57 GMT-5
The "storage model" use the right side of of the second equation instead of the left one. The parameter "S" repesents the storage coefficient (SI unit: 1/Pa).
The governing equation of the "storage model" takes the following form

this equation is independend of porosity.
The "storage model" use the right side of of the second equation instead of the left one. The parameter "S" repesents the storage coefficient (SI unit: 1/Pa). The governing equation of the "storage model" takes the following form this equation is independend of porosity.

Posted: 9 years ago 14.01.2016, 07:54 GMT-5
Thank you very much for the explanation, Xu.

Thank you very much for the explanation, Xu.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.