Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

On smoothness of numerically convergent solutions

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I am using the latest Multiphysics coefficient PDE solver to address the problem of finding lattice solutions of a 2D system in cartesian coordinates.

For this problem the COMSOL solver is really well suited, it allows one to specify periodic boundary conditions which extends the solution of a single unit cell to the whole cartesian domain and it includes the option of imposing pointwise constraints such as boundary conditions at the corners of the cell etc.

I find converging solutions to the problem which look like the solutions I would expect (see attached sol1), however when I zoom in to these solutions I find that there seems to be a point where the solution is not smooth (see attached sol2). This is worrying since if the solution found is truly non-smooth then it doesn't correspond to a physical solution, if instead it is just a numerical artifact then I can safely proceed with it.

My question is therefore, how can I make sure I can safely interpret the solution to be smooth? Or on the contrary, how can I know for sure the solution is not everywhere smooth?

Many thanks.

4 Replies Last Post 02.03.2016, 19:27 GMT-5
Sergei Yushanov Certified Consultant

Posted: 9 years ago 30.12.2015, 15:24 GMT-5
Gianni,

Seems this is mesh-related effect. Try to refine the mesh and observe change in curve smoothness.

Regards,
Sergei
Gianni, Seems this is mesh-related effect. Try to refine the mesh and observe change in curve smoothness. Regards, Sergei

Posted: 8 years ago 02.03.2016, 08:27 GMT-5
Hi, Tallarita, are you using v5.2? Do the periodic conditions work well in PDE modes? I find that it doesnot work in v5.0. Thank you.
Hi, Tallarita, are you using v5.2? Do the periodic conditions work well in PDE modes? I find that it doesnot work in v5.0. Thank you.

Posted: 8 years ago 02.03.2016, 10:24 GMT-5
Dear Jack,

yes I am using the latest version 5.2. However I am not that sure on the result of pde solving in COMSOL. Especially solutions with pointwise constraints seem really non-smooth. Something is suspicious.

Best
Dear Jack, yes I am using the latest version 5.2. However I am not that sure on the result of pde solving in COMSOL. Especially solutions with pointwise constraints seem really non-smooth. Something is suspicious. Best

Posted: 8 years ago 02.03.2016, 19:27 GMT-5
Thanks for your timely reply. I guess your solution is mesh convergence related.
Thanks for your timely reply. I guess your solution is mesh convergence related.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.