Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Overlap integrals of variables belonging to different studies?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to calculate the overlap integral of two eigenfunctions (in comsol 4.a). Each eigenfunction is calculated from a seperate study. That is, I have study 1 and study 2 in the Model Builder tree. One of the eigenfunctions is the result of study 1 and the other is the result of study 2. What I want to do is to calculate the overlap integral of eigenfunction 1 with eigenfunction 2 (on a specific domain). Both studies are of the same type and they use the same domain and mesh. Is it possible to do this in comsol without exporting the results to some other software? Is there a way to ask the software to take variable a from study x and variable b from study y, multiply and integrate? Thanks

4 Replies Last Post 17.06.2013, 13:57 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Irfan Bulu

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago 09.09.2011, 14:20 GMT-4
I want to do the same thing or in a similar way. How can I do this exporting the data? Thanks
I want to do the same thing or in a similar way. How can I do this exporting the data? Thanks

Posted: 1 decade ago 09.09.2011, 19:55 GMT-4
All right... it is getting a little frustrating, I am now trying to use the with() operator, but when I try with(x, emw.normE), the x changes among effective index values and not frequency as I would like (freq being the parametric parameter). Someone can clarify it? The user's manual says that: is possible to use the solution at (1) any of the time steps, (2) any parameter value, or (3) any eigensolution, but don't say how to choose the parameter. Thanks in advance.
All right... it is getting a little frustrating, I am now trying to use the with() operator, but when I try with(x, emw.normE), the x changes among effective index values and not frequency as I would like (freq being the parametric parameter). Someone can clarify it? The user's manual says that: is possible to use the solution at (1) any of the time steps, (2) any parameter value, or (3) any eigensolution, but don't say how to choose the parameter. Thanks in advance.

Posted: 1 decade ago 15.04.2013, 11:53 GMT-4
Hi, Bulu,

I am facing the problem as you refered.
May I ask you have you figured it out?

Thanks,
Marvin
Hi, Bulu, I am facing the problem as you refered. May I ask you have you figured it out? Thanks, Marvin

Posted: 1 decade ago 17.06.2013, 13:57 GMT-4
Hello all,

I also want to do the same thing. Anybody figure it out?

Mike
Hello all, I also want to do the same thing. Anybody figure it out? Mike

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.