Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Task with covering

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hallo. I have task with cable which is covered by think covering (1.3 mm) and to this cover fixed one fastener. The problem is the meshing of cover require a lot of memory and PC resourses. Could I in some way solve this problem without CAD presenting of cover (e.g. by Contact Resistance function (CR))? I dont know what I must do then with radius of the fastener when I take a way the cover and will present this cover by CR function.. Thanks for advantage.

2 Replies Last Post 29.09.2010, 05:37 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 29.09.2010, 04:27 GMT-4
Hi

modelling complex assemblies (even often simple ones too) is often tricky.
You should analyse your model to see if you can use symmetry (not only on the geometry but also on the boundary conditions), and if you can decompose the model into sub items: doing a rough calculation on most of it ans use the results as input to a more detailed analysis of some specific critical item

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi modelling complex assemblies (even often simple ones too) is often tricky. You should analyse your model to see if you can use symmetry (not only on the geometry but also on the boundary conditions), and if you can decompose the model into sub items: doing a rough calculation on most of it ans use the results as input to a more detailed analysis of some specific critical item -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 29.09.2010, 05:37 GMT-4
Thanks for your quick answer. I will try in some way to simplify the model or make partly calculations.. By the way i attached the picture of the task. The model I put in the air. Maby you could see more because I didnt see how I can use symmetry. The task is research electric strentgh between the cables. The critical point (of max value of the electric field) must be near of the point combination of air, earth fastener and covering. I couldnt make smaller the cable length because there is effect of equalised electrical field at the surface of cover. Thanks a lot.
Thanks for your quick answer. I will try in some way to simplify the model or make partly calculations.. By the way i attached the picture of the task. The model I put in the air. Maby you could see more because I didnt see how I can use symmetry. The task is research electric strentgh between the cables. The critical point (of max value of the electric field) must be near of the point combination of air, earth fastener and covering. I couldnt make smaller the cable length because there is effect of equalised electrical field at the surface of cover. Thanks a lot.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.