Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Attenuation Constant for waveguide

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I try simulate rib waveguide with silicon as a substrate, lower cladding silica, core glass and upper cladding air in order to find attenuation constant with respect to the lower cladding thickness. However, when I try simulate it, it seems that attenuation constant become lower as lower cladding is thinner. This is not true. Can anyone advice me, which step that trigger this problem?

Thank you

2 Replies Last Post 16.12.2015, 06:39 GMT-5
Maxim Electromobility

Posted: 9 years ago 10.12.2015, 11:53 GMT-5
Hi Suraya,

I am not familiar with your exact configuration, however generally for waveguides following are valid: Attenuation can arise form radiative leakage and form internal losses in material.

If your mode does not have radiative leakage than the internal losses are the only mechanism. Than as higher the mode confinement is, the higher is attenuation.

Check also that your domain is big enough to contain all the fields inside, and you do not have losses due to the scattering BCs of PMLs.

One common mistake is the definition of the internal losses. Comsol uses the time convention ext(iwt), hence negative imaginary part of the refractive index results in losses, whereas positive in gain.

Best regards,
Maxim
Hi Suraya, I am not familiar with your exact configuration, however generally for waveguides following are valid: Attenuation can arise form radiative leakage and form internal losses in material. If your mode does not have radiative leakage than the internal losses are the only mechanism. Than as higher the mode confinement is, the higher is attenuation. Check also that your domain is big enough to contain all the fields inside, and you do not have losses due to the scattering BCs of PMLs. One common mistake is the definition of the internal losses. Comsol uses the time convention ext(iwt), hence negative imaginary part of the refractive index results in losses, whereas positive in gain. Best regards, Maxim

Posted: 9 years ago 16.12.2015, 06:39 GMT-5
Dear Maxim,

Thank you.

Regards,
Suraya
Dear Maxim, Thank you. Regards, Suraya

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.