Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

What's the difference between the "harmonic propagation" and "scattered harmonic propagation"?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all:
IN the RF => In plane wave model ,What's the difference between the "harmonic propagation" and "scattered harmonic propagation"?

Q2. if I set the square and draw the rectangle around the square with PML condition and

set the pair on one side , then I can't evaluate any point by using the "point evaluation"?

(file as QQQ.m)

Q3.IN "scattered" harmonic propagation , the same condition IN Q2 ,

plot the scattered field z component , it is different in Q2, how to explain it?

(file as SSS.m)

THANK YOU ALL,

Best regards you-che he

3 Replies Last Post 10.12.2013, 21:33 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 24.09.2010, 15:35 GMT-4
Hi

you should get the answer (difference between harmonic propagation and scattered filed harmonic propagation) if you serch for "harmonic propagation" on the three RF pdf docs.

"harmonic propagation mode" is a synonyme for "time harmonic mode" where the constitutio
ve equations have been developped in terms of an harmonic solution (amplitude driven sinus excitation with potentially an additional phase variable). This allows for specific equation developments and solver techniques, somewhat similar to Laplace development in signaltreatment.

"Scattered harmonic propagation mode" is not solwing for the incident field (assumed to be known) but only resolves the (weak) scattered field. As mostly the scattered field is much smaller than the incident field the precision of the calculation is highly improved.

So most probably what you see in you models (havent run them nor studied them in detail yet) is the difference between the total field (incident and scattered) and only the scattered field

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you should get the answer (difference between harmonic propagation and scattered filed harmonic propagation) if you serch for "harmonic propagation" on the three RF pdf docs. "harmonic propagation mode" is a synonyme for "time harmonic mode" where the constitutio ve equations have been developped in terms of an harmonic solution (amplitude driven sinus excitation with potentially an additional phase variable). This allows for specific equation developments and solver techniques, somewhat similar to Laplace development in signaltreatment. "Scattered harmonic propagation mode" is not solwing for the incident field (assumed to be known) but only resolves the (weak) scattered field. As mostly the scattered field is much smaller than the incident field the precision of the calculation is highly improved. So most probably what you see in you models (havent run them nor studied them in detail yet) is the difference between the total field (incident and scattered) and only the scattered field -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 24.09.2010, 21:19 GMT-4

Thank you, Ivar K Moderator

But I have another question about Q2(please check the file by using comsol 3.5)

, I find that I can't do point evaluation in the region I wanted.

and jump out the box (Error :6099) , I don't know what's this meaning for?

THANK YOU

Best regards

You-Che He
Thank you, Ivar K Moderator But I have another question about Q2(please check the file by using comsol 3.5) , I find that I can't do point evaluation in the region I wanted. and jump out the box (Error :6099) , I don't know what's this meaning for? THANK YOU Best regards You-Che He

Posted: 1 decade ago 10.12.2013, 21:33 GMT-5

Hi

you should get the answer (difference between harmonic propagation and scattered filed harmonic propagation) if you serch for "harmonic propagation" on the three RF pdf docs.

"harmonic propagation mode" is a synonyme for "time harmonic mode" where the constitutio
ve equations have been developped in terms of an harmonic solution (amplitude driven sinus excitation with potentially an additional phase variable). This allows for specific equation developments and solver techniques, somewhat similar to Laplace development in signaltreatment.

"Scattered harmonic propagation mode" is not solwing for the incident field (assumed to be known) but only resolves the (weak) scattered field. As mostly the scattered field is much smaller than the incident field the precision of the calculation is highly improved.

So most probably what you see in you models (havent run them nor studied them in detail yet) is the difference between the total field (incident and scattered) and only the scattered field

--
Good luck
Ivar

Hi Ivar,

Would you pleas tell me how to do the scattered harmonic propagation simulation in comsol 4.3a? I know how to do it in comsol 3.5a, but trial in comsol4.3a failed. I cannot find similar options.

Thanks.
Derek
[QUOTE] Hi you should get the answer (difference between harmonic propagation and scattered filed harmonic propagation) if you serch for "harmonic propagation" on the three RF pdf docs. "harmonic propagation mode" is a synonyme for "time harmonic mode" where the constitutio ve equations have been developped in terms of an harmonic solution (amplitude driven sinus excitation with potentially an additional phase variable). This allows for specific equation developments and solver techniques, somewhat similar to Laplace development in signaltreatment. "Scattered harmonic propagation mode" is not solwing for the incident field (assumed to be known) but only resolves the (weak) scattered field. As mostly the scattered field is much smaller than the incident field the precision of the calculation is highly improved. So most probably what you see in you models (havent run them nor studied them in detail yet) is the difference between the total field (incident and scattered) and only the scattered field -- Good luck Ivar [/QUOTE] Hi Ivar, Would you pleas tell me how to do the scattered harmonic propagation simulation in comsol 4.3a? I know how to do it in comsol 3.5a, but trial in comsol4.3a failed. I cannot find similar options. Thanks. Derek

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.