Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Symmetric Meshing Error

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I have a yz-axis symmetrical 3D model and I want to copy the mesh from one side to the other. In other words, I want to mirror the Mesh.

I've tried what Henrik Sönnerlind suggested in this Thread:
www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/73291
but this only works if I have just ONE domain.
My model consists of several domains mirrored at the yz-axis. I fail to copy the mesh of several domains at once. I always got the error message "Different number of edge elements".
I tried it with two different Mesh operations, with "Copy Domain" and "Copy", but both gave the same error as stated above.
For clarity I attached the model with the error message.

Does anybody have experience with symmetric meshing?

Thanks in advance
Christian

2 Replies Last Post 03.11.2015, 04:58 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 9 years ago 02.11.2015, 14:04 GMT-5
Hi

it works for me (ok in te 5.2 beta but I'm sure its also valid for the previous versions.
What you had missed is that your default Free Tetrahedral was meshing all "Remaining" domains. Then the copy does not work because the destination is already meshed :)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi it works for me (ok in te 5.2 beta but I'm sure its also valid for the previous versions. What you had missed is that your default Free Tetrahedral was meshing all "Remaining" domains. Then the copy does not work because the destination is already meshed :) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 9 years ago 03.11.2015, 04:58 GMT-5
Hey Ivar

Thank you very much. You really solved the problem!
From the error message I got, I didn't expect it to be the problem of meshing "too much". I'd thought of a wrong number of faces from the geometry or similar...

Best regards
Christian

Hey Ivar Thank you very much. You really solved the problem! From the error message I got, I didn't expect it to be the problem of meshing "too much". I'd thought of a wrong number of faces from the geometry or similar... Best regards Christian

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.