Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Multi-Port S-parameter Calculation Simultaneously

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, Is Comsol able to calculate the S-parameters of multiports in s single computing ?

For example, if i want to know s11 s21, s12 and s22 , i have to first set port 1 on port 2 off and compute to get s11 and s21, then manually set port 1 off port 2 on to compute s12 and s22, it there an automatic way to do this ?

Thanks.
Cris

4 Replies Last Post 20.05.2016, 11:55 GMT-4
Sergei Yushanov Certified Consultant

Posted: 9 years ago 22.10.2015, 08:11 GMT-4
Cris,

Yes, there is an automatic way to calculate full matrix of S-parameters. In the Settings window for the “Electromagnetic Waves, Frequency Domain (emw) root node, there is section “Port Sweep Settings” where you can check “Activate port sweep” option, as shown in the attached image. This will allow you to perform sweep over the one active port at a time and extract full S-matrix using Global evaluation node.

Regards,
Sergei
Cris, Yes, there is an automatic way to calculate full matrix of S-parameters. In the Settings window for the “Electromagnetic Waves, Frequency Domain (emw) root node, there is section “Port Sweep Settings” where you can check “Activate port sweep” option, as shown in the attached image. This will allow you to perform sweep over the one active port at a time and extract full S-matrix using Global evaluation node. Regards, Sergei

Posted: 9 years ago 22.10.2015, 13:24 GMT-4
Sergei,

Many thanks.

A more detail step by step tutorial can be found in page 19-21
nf.nci.org.au/facilities/software/COMSOL/4.2/doc/pdf/rf/IntroductionToRFModule.pdf

Best Regards

Cris
Sergei, Many thanks. A more detail step by step tutorial can be found in page 19-21 http://nf.nci.org.au/facilities/software/COMSOL/4.2/doc/pdf/rf/IntroductionToRFModule.pdf Best Regards Cris

Posted: 8 years ago 20.05.2016, 08:54 GMT-4
HI! I am designing switch with three port structure. PORT 1 as input, PORT 2 Output, and PORT 3 as Control port. I am getting all S-parameters using "SWEEP PORT" command for ON STATE, but not for OFF State.. [means when PORT 1,3 are ON and PORT 2 is OFF]...

Is it possible to extract all S-parameters for 3 port device when 2 ports are excited and one is OFF..

Thanks,

HI! I am designing switch with three port structure. PORT 1 as input, PORT 2 Output, and PORT 3 as Control port. I am getting all S-parameters using "SWEEP PORT" command for ON STATE, but not for OFF State.. [means when PORT 1,3 are ON and PORT 2 is OFF]... Is it possible to extract all S-parameters for 3 port device when 2 ports are excited and one is OFF.. Thanks,

Posted: 8 years ago 20.05.2016, 11:55 GMT-4
Yes,

you can disable the "activate port sweep" , and select two ports on manually.

if you want to do a sweep, you can turn all three port on, and set a variable for the "Port input power", when the power is zero, it is actually at off state. then sweep the varaible to turn off the port one by one.

Hope it works.

Cris
Yes, you can disable the "activate port sweep" , and select two ports on manually. if you want to do a sweep, you can turn all three port on, and set a variable for the "Port input power", when the power is zero, it is actually at off state. then sweep the varaible to turn off the port one by one. Hope it works. Cris

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.