Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Diffusion through a boundary - COMSOL 3.2

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello all,

I am modeling a 3D diffusion problem which primarily consists of a circular boundary constrained to a concentration of zero, surrounded by a much larger sphere with boundaries constrained to a given constant concentration value. I am seeking to identify the flux through the circular boundary, by using the Boundary Integration function at the circular boundary, as well as by creating an arrow plot which creates a "mesh" of arrows in a square-shaped layer just above the boundary.

In order to verify that the model is behaving as it should, I created a similar model with the circular boundary being doubled in radius (and thus quadrupled in area), expecting to see the flux value be quadrupled as well. However, the flux value has only doubled, and by the arrow plot, the flux value of elements in the middle of the circular boundary is half of what it was in the smaller case. I cannot come up with any explanation for this, and was hoping that someone with a better understanding of what the program is doing here might be able to explain this behavior.

Thanks!

0 Replies Last Post 19.08.2015, 12:17 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello William Garrison

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.