Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Implementing a specific boundary condition in Comsol 4.3

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I'm working with three coupled ODEs (simplified version below), and have input them using the Coefficient Form PDE model with three dependent variables.

(1) d/dx[(x^2)(-d/dx(u1)-k*u1*d/dx(u3))]=0

(2) d/dx[(x^2)(-d/dx(u2)+u2d/dx(u3))]=0

(3) d/dx[(x^2)(u3)]-m*(x^2)(u2-u1)=0

where k and m are constants. My geometry is 1D, from 1 to 2. My problem is that I'm trying to implement a certain boundary condition at endpoint 1.

At this endpoint u1=u2=0. But the third boundary condition I would like to put in is one that says, essentially, u3 at endpoint 1 must be such that the following equation holds:

(4) a*du1/dx(1)=b*du2/dx(1)

where a and b are constants, and where du1/dx(1) means d/dx(u1) evaluated at 1.

Would anyone be able to recommend a way of doing this, or a specific resource to help? Have I given enough information? Or too much? I'd greatly appreciate any help.

1 Reply Last Post 17.07.2015, 09:55 GMT-4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 9 years ago 17.07.2015, 09:55 GMT-4
Would using a "Weak Contribution" work? i.e. adding a Weak Contribution as part of the Coefficient Form PDE physic, and entering Equation 4 into the expression there. Or am I completely off?

Also, regardless of how the overall problem is done, how do implement du1/dx(1) in Comsol 4.3? (That is, d/dx(u1) evaluated at endpoint 1).
Would using a "Weak Contribution" work? i.e. adding a Weak Contribution as part of the Coefficient Form PDE physic, and entering Equation 4 into the expression there. Or am I completely off? Also, regardless of how the overall problem is done, how do implement du1/dx(1) in Comsol 4.3? (That is, d/dx(u1) evaluated at endpoint 1).

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.