Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to model laminar flow in 2d pipe flow with Comsol

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I want to simulate a standard laminar flow problem using comsol. This problem is being for validating Comsol. The 2D pipe geometry is 0.2 m dia and 8 m length. The flow is laminar flow. Velocity is 1 m/s.
The density of the pipe is 1 kg/m^3 and viscosity mu is 0.002. So, Re = 100 < 2300.

The maximum velocity for parabolic profile shall be 2x1=2 m/s but after solving the velocity is coming 1.49 m/s. In what way the modelling shall be performed so that the desired results can be simulated in a stard format not as hit and trial method.

I have taken one side of width as inlet and other side as outlet. The other two longitudinal dimensions are taken as wall with no slip condition. Poutlet = 0 and 101325 Pa for two different cases.

Kindly help me modelling this problem.

Thanks.

4 Replies Last Post 24.06.2015, 06:14 GMT-4
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 22.06.2015, 08:42 GMT-4
Hello Pavan,
You may want to post your mph file otherwise it's hard for other users to make suggestions as to what you may have done wrong.
Jeff
Hello Pavan, You may want to post your mph file otherwise it's hard for other users to make suggestions as to what you may have done wrong. Jeff

Posted: 9 years ago 22.06.2015, 09:05 GMT-4
There is an analytical solution that tells that the vmax = 1.5 m/s, nothing wrong with Comsol:

v(x) = 150*x*(0.2 - x)

v_aveg = 1 m/s = v_init
There is an analytical solution that tells that the vmax = 1.5 m/s, nothing wrong with Comsol: v(x) = 150*x*(0.2 - x) v_aveg = 1 m/s = v_init

Posted: 9 years ago 24.06.2015, 06:10 GMT-4
Hi Mr.Jeff
Thanks for your reply. I think I have figured out that why the results were not matching. I was trying to model a pipe flow with 2-D problem as explained in the main details. I modeled a 3-D pipe and the results shows that Vmax = 2Vavg where as for 2-D Vmax=1.5Vag.

I modeled 2-D problem selecting 2-D axisymmetric and then the Vmax=2Vavg. It seems that Comsol was treating the previous 2-D problem as channel flow and giving Vmax=1.49 m/s (Vavg=1 m/s).

Kindly comment on my observations.

Thanks and Regards
Pavan Kr Patel
Hi Mr.Jeff Thanks for your reply. I think I have figured out that why the results were not matching. I was trying to model a pipe flow with 2-D problem as explained in the main details. I modeled a 3-D pipe and the results shows that Vmax = 2Vavg where as for 2-D Vmax=1.5Vag. I modeled 2-D problem selecting 2-D axisymmetric and then the Vmax=2Vavg. It seems that Comsol was treating the previous 2-D problem as channel flow and giving Vmax=1.49 m/s (Vavg=1 m/s). Kindly comment on my observations. Thanks and Regards Pavan Kr Patel

Posted: 9 years ago 24.06.2015, 06:14 GMT-4
Hi Mr. Lasse Murtomäki
Thanks for your reply. I think I have figured out that why the results were not matching. I was trying to model a pipe flow with 2-D problem as explained in the main details. I modeled a 3-D pipe and the results shows that Vmax = 2Vavg where as for 2-D Vmax=1.5Vag.

I modeled 2-D problem selecting 2-D axisymmetric and then the Vmax=2Vavg. It seems that Comsol was treating the previous 2-D problem as channel flow and giving Vmax=1.49 m/s (Vavg=1 m/s).

Kindly comment on my observations.

Thanks and Regards
Pavan Kr Patel
Hi Mr. Lasse Murtomäki Thanks for your reply. I think I have figured out that why the results were not matching. I was trying to model a pipe flow with 2-D problem as explained in the main details. I modeled a 3-D pipe and the results shows that Vmax = 2Vavg where as for 2-D Vmax=1.5Vag. I modeled 2-D problem selecting 2-D axisymmetric and then the Vmax=2Vavg. It seems that Comsol was treating the previous 2-D problem as channel flow and giving Vmax=1.49 m/s (Vavg=1 m/s). Kindly comment on my observations. Thanks and Regards Pavan Kr Patel

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.