Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Thermal Lensing

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am trying to simulate thermal lensing and focal shift for laser systems. I started with the library example "Thermally Induced Focal Shift Application ID: 19955". It is a very nice example as a starting point but somehow I realized that when I am inserting another transparent object after the lenses( I inserted a slab in) all rays stops on that new object as if it is a wall. I checked every node to set it correctly as a transparent object but there is no solution for that. Actually if you don't use mirroring for the two lenses but create them seperately rays doesn't go inside the second one, I also tried that. I think there happens a problem in the solver settings. Can you help me with that?

1 Reply Last Post 19.06.2015, 01:31 GMT-4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 9 years ago 19.06.2015, 01:31 GMT-4
Hi, again

I found out the problem. When a new lense is added it doesn't inherit all the features from other lenses unless you define it as a copy ( like mirroring). If you define a new transparent object you should select every node one by one. Until now I thought I was including the new domain and boundaries in every necessary nodes. But setting the physics nodes are not enough, there is another place where the new domain should be added, the variables. Unless you don't select the new lense (or slab whatever), those variables are not valid within the new domain.

I hope this is helpful for you.
Hi, again I found out the problem. When a new lense is added it doesn't inherit all the features from other lenses unless you define it as a copy ( like mirroring). If you define a new transparent object you should select every node one by one. Until now I thought I was including the new domain and boundaries in every necessary nodes. But setting the physics nodes are not enough, there is another place where the new domain should be added, the variables. Unless you don't select the new lense (or slab whatever), those variables are not valid within the new domain. I hope this is helpful for you.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.