Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

CFD/SST model

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am a PhD student in UCL, London and am working with SST model, trying to do a CFD study on a 2D rotating disc. So far, I am having trouble getting a converged solution for low viscosities (eg. 0.001 Pa.s, 0.000894 Pa.s). I have tried using k-e solution as an initial guess, but it still won't converge.

Once I went beyond the 'extremely fine' standard physics induced mesh and made my mesh much finer, I get the 'Very ill-conditioned preconditioner.
The relative residual is more than 1000 times larger than the relative tolerance.
Returned solution has not converge'.

I was wondering if you had any tips for solving SST model, and in particular with regards to the problem I have here. For the k-e model, I performed a continuation auxiliary sweep starting from high viscosity to get the final viscosity solution of 0.000894 Pa.s, and then using the last solution to compute SST for 0.000894 Pa.s. My boundary conditions seem to be well defined, and these are the following settings I am using:

Step 1: (k-e): using an Auxiliary Sweep of
visc_factor so that we have the final solution at the desired
viscosity value (0.000894 Pa.s) for the k-epsilon Interface

Step 2 (wall distance initialisation) : Variables not solved for settings, I set it to use the final solution from
the Auxiliary Sweep in Step 1.

Step 3: Both the variables solved and not solved for to "Solution", "Step 2, Stationary".

I have attached the file.

--
MSH

0 Replies Last Post 22.05.2015, 04:59 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Shawkat

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.