Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Deformed geometry : How to use the coordinates of a boundary in the deformed geometry as a variable?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi

In my model, I am using the Weak form PDE module and I require to use the at() operator for a source term.
For the first argument of the operator, I require the coordinates of one of the boundaries of my model, but it is deformed by a prescribed mesh velocity and is not stationary.
I could integrate the velocity over time and figure out the displacement, but I think there should be a straightforward way to get the displacement. Can someone shed any light on this?

(My model is 1D, so I'm using the at1 operator.)

Thanks
George

1 Reply Last Post 28.04.2015, 11:06 GMT-4
Frank van Gool COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 9 years ago 28.04.2015, 11:06 GMT-4
Dear George,

You could create an integration point on your outside boundary, if you then use intop1(x) you will get the spatial coordinate of that point.
The material coordinate uses capital X. And the difference between the two is the deformation.

A bit more information on this can be found here:
www.comsol.com/blogs/heat-transfer-deformed-solids/

Best regards,
Frank
Dear George, You could create an integration point on your outside boundary, if you then use intop1(x) you will get the spatial coordinate of that point. The material coordinate uses capital X. And the difference between the two is the deformation. A bit more information on this can be found here: http://www.comsol.com/blogs/heat-transfer-deformed-solids/ Best regards, Frank

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.