Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Advanced photonic bandgap (triangular lattice)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I'm trying to expand the photonic bandgap model (www.comsol.com/model/bandgap-analysis-of-a-photonic-crystal-798) to a slightly different structure, but since I'm new to photonic crystals, I'm struggling with this.

In the model, a square lattice is simulated, with lattice constants a1, a2 = a. The primitive cell is a square with the circular column in the centre. I want to simulate a triangular lattice. The cell changes into a parallelogram, and . Now, if I just want to sweep from k=0 to (M point in the Brillouin Zone), it works fine out of the box. I don't know how to proceed from here, in order to calculate the whole bandgap (Gamma -> M -> K -> Gamma). I thought I'd simply redo the initial eigenfrequency step for M point, and then move on to the k sweep. K values are defined as follows:

kk1*(k1*b1x+k2*b2x)
kk2*(k1*b1y+k2*b2y)

Where b1, b2 are reciprocal lattice vectors and kk1/k1/k2 are my parameters. For the initial eigenfrequency sweep at Gamma I set:
kk1=kk2=k1=k2=0
For the subsequent sweep kk2=1 and I'm sweeping k1=0...1.

Now, to get from M to K , I set kk2=k1=1 for the initial eigenfrequency study, and I'm getting eigenfrequencies corresponding to those obtained from the first sweep (at the end of the sweep, kk2=1). However, if I now want to sweep from kk1=0...1/3, I get the following error:

Failed to find a solution for the initial parameter.
Maximum number of Newton iterations reached.
There was an error message from the linear solver.
The relative error (1.7e+003) is greater than the relative tolerance.
Returned solution is not converged.

Where might this be coming from? There must be a difference between starting at k=0 and k!=0 that I'm missing.

2 Replies Last Post 06.12.2016, 08:29 GMT-5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Adam Klimont

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 8 years ago 16.08.2016, 12:26 GMT-4
I'll leave the solution here (provided by COMSOL support), in case someone faces a similar problem in the future:

One way to accomplish the Gamma-M-K-Gamma sweep is to define a parameter "a", such that when it changes from 0 to 3, k follows the path:

a=0...1: k=0...b1
a=1..2: k=b1...b2
a=2..3: k=b2...0

I created two interpolations in Global Definitions -> Parameters (see attached screenshots). Then I defined two variables, kx and ky, in the following way:
kx = (k1(k)*b1x+k2(k)*b2x)
ky = (k1(k)*b1y+k2(k)*b2y)

Then I set Floquet Periodic Conditions in the Physics tab and set the periodicity to kx and ky.

With this set up, you should be able to sweep k from 0 to 3, and this will correspond to the 1st Brillouin Zone of the triangular lattice.
I'll leave the solution here (provided by COMSOL support), in case someone faces a similar problem in the future: One way to accomplish the Gamma-M-K-Gamma sweep is to define a parameter "a", such that when it changes from 0 to 3, k follows the path: a=0...1: k=0...b1 a=1..2: k=b1...b2 a=2..3: k=b2...0 I created two interpolations in Global Definitions -> Parameters (see attached screenshots). Then I defined two variables, kx and ky, in the following way: kx = (k1(k)*b1x+k2(k)*b2x) ky = (k1(k)*b1y+k2(k)*b2y) Then I set Floquet Periodic Conditions in the Physics tab and set the periodicity to kx and ky. With this set up, you should be able to sweep k from 0 to 3, and this will correspond to the 1st Brillouin Zone of the triangular lattice.

Posted: 8 years ago 06.12.2016, 08:29 GMT-5
Hi, I am having a similar problem with my modified photonic bandgap model. Would you mind uploading you model so I can check where I made a mistake?

Hi, I am having a similar problem with my modified photonic bandgap model. Would you mind uploading you model so I can check where I made a mistake?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.