Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Residual stress analysis_post processing

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi i have done computation for GMAW arc welding and calculated the stress values. But i am not sure how to plot graph between distance from weld centreline(x axis) Vs Residual stress (Y axis).. Also displacement along each axis vs time?? Can anyone please help?? Its urgent pls.....

6 Replies Last Post 25.07.2016, 04:15 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Basky

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 9 years ago 22.05.2015, 06:23 GMT-4
I am not able to define heat source which has to move. So, can you please help me to come out of this problem
I am not able to define heat source which has to move. So, can you please help me to come out of this problem

Posted: 9 years ago 22.05.2015, 06:58 GMT-4
The equation of heat source contains x,y,z in case of Cartesian coordinates and if you have defined your heat source position as x0, y0, z0 and considering heat source moves along X- axis,
then the equation consists of : [ x - (x0 + vt) ] provided v is the welding speed.

Hope this helps.
The equation of heat source contains x,y,z in case of Cartesian coordinates and if you have defined your heat source position as x0, y0, z0 and considering heat source moves along X- axis, then the equation consists of : [ x - (x0 + vt) ] provided v is the welding speed. Hope this helps.

Posted: 9 years ago 30.05.2015, 05:36 GMT-4
Hello Basky,
Thank you very much for your help. I came out of that problem. I am very much thankful for you. Can, you please help me is there any inbuilt option to find Residual Stresses?

With Regards
Vinayak S Matur
Hello Basky, Thank you very much for your help. I came out of that problem. I am very much thankful for you. Can, you please help me is there any inbuilt option to find Residual Stresses? With Regards Vinayak S Matur

Posted: 9 years ago 30.05.2015, 05:51 GMT-4
Hello Basky,
I also have one more doubt. I want to define a double ellipsoidal heat source. The equation of heat source changes in three conditions. i.e., for x<0, x==0 and x>0. In Heat Transfer for Solids option I have already defined for hemispherical. But I am not getting how to define Double Ellipsoidal Heat source by using 3 condition. So, can you please tell me how to define this in COMSOL 4.4.

With Regards
Vinayak S Matur
Hello Basky, I also have one more doubt. I want to define a double ellipsoidal heat source. The equation of heat source changes in three conditions. i.e., for x0. In Heat Transfer for Solids option I have already defined for hemispherical. But I am not getting how to define Double Ellipsoidal Heat source by using 3 condition. So, can you please tell me how to define this in COMSOL 4.4. With Regards Vinayak S Matur

Posted: 9 years ago 28.11.2015, 04:30 GMT-5
hello mathur,
i am also working on some problem that consists of finding thermal residual stresses developed in the processes. can you help me out?
thanks and regard
hello mathur, i am also working on some problem that consists of finding thermal residual stresses developed in the processes. can you help me out? thanks and regard

Posted: 8 years ago 25.07.2016, 04:15 GMT-4

Hello Basky,
Thank you very much for your help. I came out of that problem. I am very much thankful for you. Can, you please help me is there any inbuilt option to find Residual Stresses?

With Regards
Vinayak S Matur

Hi Vinayak S Matur,

I am a beginner and I'm trying to model a moving heat source.

Could you help me with giving the heat input as a function of x,y,z?

Thank you in advance,
[QUOTE] Hello Basky, Thank you very much for your help. I came out of that problem. I am very much thankful for you. Can, you please help me is there any inbuilt option to find Residual Stresses? With Regards Vinayak S Matur [/QUOTE] Hi Vinayak S Matur, I am a beginner and I'm trying to model a moving heat source. Could you help me with giving the heat input as a function of x,y,z? Thank you in advance,

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.