Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Concrete cross-section

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

My research project is based on analyzing concrete cross-section. I´m working in 2D and I´m trying to put a perpendicular point load to the cross-section, but I cannot. So my question is on the choice of the module in Comsol. How could I situate this load?

Thank you very much,

Pablo

4 Replies Last Post 10.07.2010, 09:33 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 02.07.2010, 08:07 GMT-4
Hi

in 2D you are looking at an object of default 1m depth (in 3D) so all Z depth values are implicitely 1[m] orwhatever you define to override the defult depth. But you can only apply loads in X-Y in plane.

Othervise you need to go to the full 3D case, either with beams, shells or in full 3D solid. But you can also use 2D axi if you have an axisymmetric case, or 2D beam or shells with different depths depdending on your model view. In which case the Z might become by a rotation transformation an X or an Y axis

Good luck
Ivar
Hi in 2D you are looking at an object of default 1m depth (in 3D) so all Z depth values are implicitely 1[m] orwhatever you define to override the defult depth. But you can only apply loads in X-Y in plane. Othervise you need to go to the full 3D case, either with beams, shells or in full 3D solid. But you can also use 2D axi if you have an axisymmetric case, or 2D beam or shells with different depths depdending on your model view. In which case the Z might become by a rotation transformation an X or an Y axis Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 05.07.2010, 03:35 GMT-4
Thank you very much Ivar.

My problem is I need to impose a plane strain in the cross-section, but i don´t know if i can do this in a 3D model.

Thank you again.

Pablo
Thank you very much Ivar. My problem is I need to impose a plane strain in the cross-section, but i don´t know if i can do this in a 3D model. Thank you again. Pablo

Posted: 1 decade ago 05.07.2010, 03:36 GMT-4
Thank you very much Ivar.

My problem is I need to impose a plane strain in the cross-section, but i don´t know if i can do this in a 3D model.

Thank you again.

Pablo
Thank you very much Ivar. My problem is I need to impose a plane strain in the cross-section, but i don´t know if i can do this in a 3D model. Thank you again. Pablo

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 10.07.2010, 09:33 GMT-4
Hi

I assume you are aware of the "V4.0a - Solid Mechanics - Linear Elastic Material Model - Initial Stress and Strain" (b rightclicking on the "Linear Elastic Material" node

Ifyou use values or a function defining values as function of location I expect that you should ge your values.

Otherwise you can run a first stationary analysis to load your case, then store the solution and rerun your second analysis by starting on the saved values.

hope this helps
Ivar
Hi I assume you are aware of the "V4.0a - Solid Mechanics - Linear Elastic Material Model - Initial Stress and Strain" (b rightclicking on the "Linear Elastic Material" node Ifyou use values or a function defining values as function of location I expect that you should ge your values. Otherwise you can run a first stationary analysis to load your case, then store the solution and rerun your second analysis by starting on the saved values. hope this helps Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.