Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Meshing tips for high aspect ratio geometry?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,

I am trying to simulate Joule heating in a simple geometry. The current is injected into one metallic nano wire with a high aspect ratio (thickness 60 nm, width 1.5 um, length 50 um) below which the substrate lies (thickness 100 um). For the moment the geometry is simple but structures will be added later. The symetry of the problem necessitate some region to be finely meshed whereas others can be coarser. Does anyone have tips for the meshing of this kind of thin strip with high aspect ratio? The problem is that I want to resolve finely the thickness of the nanowire while keeping the number of elements reasonable. I've tried to map faces of the wire and sweep with a predefined distribution type of elements with a ratio of 20 (geometric sequence). But thereafter, the meshing of the substrate fails (error: impossible to insert point). Tweaking the meshing parameter for the nanowires (number of element and element ratio) solves the problem but then the number of element may be too high, especially in the futur where I will simulate a more complex structure with a length of 2 mm.

I cannot attach my .mph file because of file extension error message.

Any help would be appreciated.

Best regards,
André C.

0 Replies Last Post 09.04.2015, 05:18 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Andre Chanthbouala

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.