Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to apply moment to a surface?

Morten Refsgaard Drost

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I am trying to model a brake disc in terms of thermal stress during a braking procedure.
I have the thermal part of the simulation down, but I am having trouble with the Structural Mechanics part.
I want to apply a moment on the swept area of the brake pad. The moment is caused by a resulting friction force during braking. I have tried using the Rigid Connector, but as anticipated I get a high stress concentration around the edges. How do i apply a moment to a surface and avoid the stress concentrations around the swept area edges? I have attached a sample model of my problem and a snapshot of the calculated von Mises stress with my current setup.

Thanks in advance!

/Morten R. Drost

1 Reply Last Post 21.04.2015, 12:57 GMT-4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 9 years ago 21.04.2015, 12:57 GMT-4
Can you use a boundary load and use a formula for the applied force which yields the correct moment?
Can you use a boundary load and use a formula for the applied force which yields the correct moment?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.