Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

To define a simple motion

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am beginner in COMSOL and have problem to define a simple motion. In my model, AC/DC & Heat transfer modules are used.
A movement for a simple subdomain in x direction with velocity of 0.02[m/s] in transient is needed.
I have seen some motions in COMSOL model gallery files.
But in each one there is a special way to define a simple motion for a material. Also non of them uses the modules that I work with.

- Can anyone guide me to define this simple motion?
- Is there also a moving mesh needed?
- And if we apply a motion in one module, will it be applied to other
modules automatically?

Thanks in advance.

4 Replies Last Post 28.06.2010, 13:06 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 10.06.2010, 11:45 GMT-4
Hi,

Yes, you should use the moving mesh application mode (ALE) in order to move your domain. There is also a possibility of defining a velocity or a displacement.
The ALE is well explained in the Comsol doc. It is not so complicated, you just need a couple of days to build your own moving mesh model.
I have posted one small model in which I implemented simple motion, you can find it by searching in this forum, Also there are some discussions, which can be useful for you.

When you combine different modules e.g., ALE with AC/DC or Diffusion..etc this is called a Multiphysics model, so everything is coupled.

Good luck and don't hesitate to ask question if you are in trouble.

Cheers
Hi, Yes, you should use the moving mesh application mode (ALE) in order to move your domain. There is also a possibility of defining a velocity or a displacement. The ALE is well explained in the Comsol doc. It is not so complicated, you just need a couple of days to build your own moving mesh model. I have posted one small model in which I implemented simple motion, you can find it by searching in this forum, Also there are some discussions, which can be useful for you. When you combine different modules e.g., ALE with AC/DC or Diffusion..etc this is called a Multiphysics model, so everything is coupled. Good luck and don't hesitate to ask question if you are in trouble. Cheers

Posted: 1 decade ago 10.06.2010, 11:47 GMT-4
Hi Taha,

If you have an actual movement in the domain, like movement of a domain through another one, ALE is the way to go. How to use it really depends on your case. An example is the fluid-structure interaction where a solid moves inside a fluid.

If you use ALE, Comsol automatically provides an option to solve any physics on the "spatial" domain, which is ALE. Then all your physics will be using ALE. Actually quite straightforward, specially in Comsol 4.

Hope it helped a bit.
Hi Taha, If you have an actual movement in the domain, like movement of a domain through another one, ALE is the way to go. How to use it really depends on your case. An example is the fluid-structure interaction where a solid moves inside a fluid. If you use ALE, Comsol automatically provides an option to solve any physics on the "spatial" domain, which is ALE. Then all your physics will be using ALE. Actually quite straightforward, specially in Comsol 4. Hope it helped a bit.

Posted: 1 decade ago 28.06.2010, 12:56 GMT-4
Hi,

Thank you very much for your help.

I developed the model and attached you can find it. It works and I have a moving coil with correct currents. There are 2 problems now:

1. The induced current in the metal sheet under the coil, is constant. In fact, the metal sheet does not see a moving coil and the eddy current is fixed at the time of zero. It is strange, because coil (the current source) moves.

2. The edges of the coil seem to be fixed while the coil moves over the sheet. What can I do to move whole of the coil?

Can you tell me where is my fault for these 2 problems?

Thanks again.

Taha
Hi, Thank you very much for your help. I developed the model and attached you can find it. It works and I have a moving coil with correct currents. There are 2 problems now: 1. The induced current in the metal sheet under the coil, is constant. In fact, the metal sheet does not see a moving coil and the eddy current is fixed at the time of zero. It is strange, because coil (the current source) moves. 2. The edges of the coil seem to be fixed while the coil moves over the sheet. What can I do to move whole of the coil? Can you tell me where is my fault for these 2 problems? Thanks again. Taha

Posted: 1 decade ago 28.06.2010, 13:06 GMT-4
I think that there is a problem in attaching the files. It could not be attached.
I think that there is a problem in attaching the files. It could not be attached.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.