Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Heat transfet with melting front

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,
I have modeled an ice sample (filled with water in gaps) in "Heat transfer" module. For right boundary i use symmetry, for surface i apply temperature and for other boundaries - thermal isulation. In result, i want to observe, how the boundary between ice and water move (how ice grow up), so i use "deformed geometry" for all domains and "prescribed normal mesh velocity" for boundaries betwen ice and water.
I can calculate only three hours of simulation, but need three days. I've get error "Repeated error test failures. May have reached a singularity."
I don't know how to make my initial conditions better and maybe something wrong with my step function, but i couldn't find mistake.

Best regards,
Daria Ksenofontova

3 Replies Last Post 06.03.2015, 04:47 GMT-5

Posted: 9 years ago 05.03.2015, 10:45 GMT-5
Hello,

The problem comes from your mesh. Don't use boundary layer mesh, velocity is very low.
It's better to decrease relative tolerance is deforemd studies.
Mapped mesh is very good for deformed studies.
I tried with mapped max size mesh = 10 m (joined picture) with relative toerance = 0.001

Be carefull, I think that in Stephan condition the interface must be at a constant Temperature

Julien
Hello, The problem comes from your mesh. Don't use boundary layer mesh, velocity is very low. It's better to decrease relative tolerance is deforemd studies. Mapped mesh is very good for deformed studies. I tried with mapped max size mesh = 10 m (joined picture) with relative toerance = 0.001 Be carefull, I think that in Stephan condition the interface must be at a constant Temperature Julien

Posted: 9 years ago 06.03.2015, 04:30 GMT-5
Thank you very much! It works now!
Thank you very much! It works now!

Posted: 9 years ago 06.03.2015, 04:47 GMT-5
And could I ask one more question? Does it matter which interpolation ( global or local) to choose? And if I should choose the same (global or local) for both interpolation and variables?
Best regards,
Daria Ksenofontova.
And could I ask one more question? Does it matter which interpolation ( global or local) to choose? And if I should choose the same (global or local) for both interpolation and variables? Best regards, Daria Ksenofontova.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.