Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

DC discharge - Undefined value found in the stiffness matrix

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,
I’m trying to solve a time-dependent study on a DC discharge 2d model. I inserted some fictitious boundaries in the geometry in order to facilitate the creation of a mapped mesh, but when I try to compute the study the following error occurs:

Undefined value found.
- Detail: Undefined value found in the stiffness matrix.
There are 1000 equations giving NaN/Inf in the matrix rows for the variable comp1.En.
at coordinates: (0.00101,4.3275e-005), (0.00101,2.625e-005), (0.00103,4.3275e-005), (0.00103,2.625e-005), (0.00105,4.3275e-005), ...
and similarly for the degrees of freedom, NaN/Inf in the matrix columns.

I think that BC and meshing are well defined, in fact the model is successfully solved if the fictitious boundaries are not inserted in the geometry and a free triangular mesh is used. But I would prefer to use a mapped mesh. Can someone help me?

2 Replies Last Post 02.02.2015, 10:59 GMT-5

Posted: 9 years ago 02.02.2015, 04:59 GMT-5
Maybe I solved the problem by marking the fictitious bondaries as mesh control edges.....
Maybe I solved the problem by marking the fictitious bondaries as mesh control edges.....

Luke Gritter Certified Consultant

Posted: 9 years ago 02.02.2015, 10:59 GMT-5
Chiara,

When using the finite volume formulation, internal boundaries in the plasma region cause this error. The technique you mentioned is a good way to get around the problem.

--
Luke Gritter
AltaSim Technologies
Chiara, When using the finite volume formulation, internal boundaries in the plasma region cause this error. The technique you mentioned is a good way to get around the problem. -- Luke Gritter AltaSim Technologies

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.