Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Intersect mesh elements problem

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,

i'm facing a problem with my geometry in mesh process. I have three solids objects and they touch each other in a certain point, when i try to create the mesh a error occurs: "Intersecting edge elements.", but if i try to create the mesh without one of the three solids it works fine, regardless of the solid that I have discarded. I researched about this problem a little bit and found that it occurs due to the mesh process and exists some techniques to eliminate this kind of problem, but i don't know how to do it.

Thank you in advance,

Diego Soares Lopes.

2 Replies Last Post 17.12.2014, 07:32 GMT-5

Posted: 10 years ago 16.12.2014, 03:03 GMT-5
I'd like to see your geometry and mesh. Can you submit a file?
I'd like to see your geometry and mesh. Can you submit a file?

Posted: 10 years ago 17.12.2014, 07:32 GMT-5
Hi Lasse Murtomäki,

thank you for the interest in help me. I solved my problem changing the finalize node of my geometry, i was using the "Form union" mode until i realize that the "form assembly" mode is more appropriate, and now it's working. I think that because of my geometry's shape some deformation occurs after the finalize node in "Form union" mode, generating mesh problems.

Thanks very much,

Diego Soares Lopes.
Hi Lasse Murtomäki, thank you for the interest in help me. I solved my problem changing the finalize node of my geometry, i was using the "Form union" mode until i realize that the "form assembly" mode is more appropriate, and now it's working. I think that because of my geometry's shape some deformation occurs after the finalize node in "Form union" mode, generating mesh problems. Thanks very much, Diego Soares Lopes.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.