Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

need a crop tool, or some other means of confining simulation volume

Sebastian Starosielec

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm fairly new to Comsol.

I have a rather complicated geometry involving various interfaces which I use for wave optics.

In order to test simulation on a smaller scale, I would like to simulate only part of the structure. For this a geometry "crop tool" would be nice, i.e. something like the partition tool which cuts geometry along its tool's boundaries - but will remove all elements outside the boundaries.

Is there something available, or can be created with a few basic operations ?

1 Reply Last Post 01.12.2014, 06:29 GMT-5
Zoran Vidakovic, COMSOL COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 10 years ago 01.12.2014, 06:29 GMT-5
Dear Sebastian,

You can try to partition / crop your geometry with Boolean operations in COMSOL.
You can try to simplify the geometry in your CAD tool if it was initially created there and imported into COMSOL.
You can create a new simplified geometry with COMSOL from scratch.

For more detailed help feel free to contact us via Support: www.comsol.com/support.
You can attach your model if you wish such that we can focus on your specific task.

All the best,
Zoran
Dear Sebastian, You can try to partition / crop your geometry with Boolean operations in COMSOL. You can try to simplify the geometry in your CAD tool if it was initially created there and imported into COMSOL. You can create a new simplified geometry with COMSOL from scratch. For more detailed help feel free to contact us via Support: www.comsol.com/support. You can attach your model if you wish such that we can focus on your specific task. All the best, Zoran

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.