Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Non-linear material Simulation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi...

I know that, in COMSOL, I can define a linear material by entering the values of modulus of elasticity, Poisson's ratio and the density of the material. Also, I can define a hyperelastic material by choosing the suitable model like Mooney-Rivlin or other models.

However, if I have a special non-linear material and I have the result of uniaxial tensile test(stress- strain table), could I use this table to define this material in COMSOL?
Do I need another test for this material such as bi-axial test, shear stress or volume compression test to define this material?

I want to simulate the stresses within a gasket by using COMSOL so, I bought some samples and I going to test this material by using the universal testing machine to get the stress-strain data.
I hope to get the way how to use these data within COMSOL to simulate this gasket material under compression.

Thank you for your support

3 Replies Last Post 21.08.2014, 02:12 GMT-4
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 10 years ago 19.08.2014, 15:38 GMT-4
Hi,

As long as the properties in the transverse direction are not important, a uniaxial test is sufficient. For a gasket that would probably be the case.

The next question is whether the loading on your structure in the real load case is a pure onloading, or if it is cyclic. In the first case, a monotonic test and a non-linear elastic material is sufficient. If not, then you need something like plasticity.

Assuming that you can do with only elasticity, a simple approach is to use the linear elastic material, but make the modulus of elasticity strain dependent. If you measure you stress-strain-curve as

and combine it with the law from linear elasticity

the you should give Young's modulus as

In COMSOL you could write something like

f(solid.eZ)/solid.eZ

where f is a function containing your measured data in the input field for E.

This will however fail when starting the algorithm, since the strain is zero, and there will be a zerodivde. You will have to use a slightly more sophisticated expression, like

if(abs(solid.eZ)<1e-6,f(1E-6)/1E-6,f(solid.eZ)/solid.eZ)

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, As long as the properties in the transverse direction are not important, a uniaxial test is sufficient. For a gasket that would probably be the case. The next question is whether the loading on your structure in the real load case is a pure onloading, or if it is cyclic. In the first case, a monotonic test and a non-linear elastic material is sufficient. If not, then you need something like plasticity. Assuming that you can do with only elasticity, a simple approach is to use the linear elastic material, but make the modulus of elasticity strain dependent. If you measure you stress-strain-curve as [MATH] \sigma = f(\epsilon) [/MATH] and combine it with the law from linear elasticity [MATH] \sigma = E \epsilon [/MATH] the you should give Young's modulus as [MATH] E = \frac{ f(\epsilon)}{\epsilon} [/MATH] In COMSOL you could write something like f(solid.eZ)/solid.eZ where f is a function containing your measured data in the input field for E. This will however fail when starting the algorithm, since the strain is zero, and there will be a zerodivde. You will have to use a slightly more sophisticated expression, like if(abs(solid.eZ)

Posted: 10 years ago 20.08.2014, 13:47 GMT-4
Thank you very much Henrik Sönnerlind. I appreiciate your support.

Well, I would be grateful if I can get your advice about the following:
I want to study the effect of the gasket's material on the contact pressure between the components of a Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cell Stack(please see the attached file). So my question is :
Is it possible, by using COMSOL , to simulate this case in 3D by applying a clamping force (using bolts) ?

Thank you

Yours sincerely
Aimen

Thank you very much Henrik Sönnerlind. I appreiciate your support. Well, I would be grateful if I can get your advice about the following: I want to study the effect of the gasket's material on the contact pressure between the components of a Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cell Stack(please see the attached file). So my question is : Is it possible, by using COMSOL , to simulate this case in 3D by applying a clamping force (using bolts) ? Thank you Yours sincerely Aimen

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 10 years ago 21.08.2014, 02:12 GMT-4
Hi,

Yes, you can model that. Use the Contact and Bolt Pre-Tension features.

Take a look at the example 'Prestressed Bolts in a Tube Connection' in the Model Library to get started.

Two side remarks to your original question:

1. You can use an orthotropic material if you want to have the strain dependence of the modulus of elasticity only in the compression direction.

2. In general, a material like the one I sketched will not be theoretically sound from a thermodynamics point of view. It may possible to extract energy by loading it in certain stress-strain cycles. Nevertheless, it is useful as an engineering approximation for cases like yours.

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, Yes, you can model that. Use the Contact and Bolt Pre-Tension features. Take a look at the example 'Prestressed Bolts in a Tube Connection' in the Model Library to get started. Two side remarks to your original question: 1. You can use an orthotropic material if you want to have the strain dependence of the modulus of elasticity only in the compression direction. 2. In general, a material like the one I sketched will not be theoretically sound from a thermodynamics point of view. It may possible to extract energy by loading it in certain stress-strain cycles. Nevertheless, it is useful as an engineering approximation for cases like yours. Regards, Henrik

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.