Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Beginner's question about the dielectric slab waveguide example

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello all,
I’m a beginner at COMSOL, and I have few basic questions about it. It will probably be trivial for you. My final goal is to find the solitons transverse profile in a nonlinear waveguide, so I’m currently learning how to use the RF module. I’ve opened the example file of a dielectric slab waveguide which study the linear modes in this kind of a waveguide. In this example there are three steps, namely:
1) Boundary mode analysis on port 1
2) Boundary mode analysis on port 2
3) Frequency domain
I’m just trying to figure out the logic which led to these steps. What exactly steps 1 and 2 are calculating? Is it the mode’s profile at the boundaries? Or maybe it’s the eigenvalues, i.e. the propagation constants at the boundaries? Also, how does step 3 use this information to find the mode’s profile? I’ve tried to use only step 1 and check the results, but I didn’t extract any valuable information from it.

Thanks,
Tal.

0 Replies Last Post 17.08.2014, 08:12 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Arie Weiss

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.