Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to calculate energy loss due to damping

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,

I notice that comsol offers a way to calculate the kinetic energy and elastic strain energy. I'm wondering if it is possible to calculate: 1. the energy due to the Rayleigh damping? 2.the energy provided by piezo?

Thanks a lot. Any idea is appreciated.

Regards,
Deng

7 Replies Last Post 01.08.2014, 03:24 GMT-4

Posted: 10 years ago 31.07.2014, 04:05 GMT-4
Damping and piezo exert a force (vector) on your structure. Take the inner product of this force and the displacement (vector) and you find the work done by this force. Force and displacement should be in your resulting data. Integrate the result of this inner product over the surface or vollume on which the force is exerted and over the complete displacement path, and you find the total work done by this force.
Damping and piezo exert a force (vector) on your structure. Take the inner product of this force and the displacement (vector) and you find the work done by this force. Force and displacement should be in your resulting data. Integrate the result of this inner product over the surface or vollume on which the force is exerted and over the complete displacement path, and you find the total work done by this force.

Posted: 10 years ago 31.07.2014, 06:01 GMT-4
Hi Pieter,

Thanks for your reply. Do you know how to get the force exerted by the damping and piezo? It seems that I could not find the variables defining these two forces.

Thanks a lot.

Regards,
Deng
Hi Pieter, Thanks for your reply. Do you know how to get the force exerted by the damping and piezo? It seems that I could not find the variables defining these two forces. Thanks a lot. Regards, Deng

Posted: 10 years ago 31.07.2014, 06:13 GMT-4
Can you maybe upload your model?
Can you maybe upload your model?

Posted: 10 years ago 31.07.2014, 07:17 GMT-4
Please have a look. Thanks.
Please have a look. Thanks.

Posted: 10 years ago 31.07.2014, 09:17 GMT-4
Assuming that all work done by the piezo on the beam is done by a force perpendicular to the contact surface, I think you can calculate the total work done by the piezo on the beam by making a surface integral (subnode in derived values) and selecting the surface where the two materials touch, and putting as the expression 'pzd.sz*pzd.u_tZ', and integrating the resulting data series.
The energy that has been dissipated by damping is the energy present in the beam at the start of the simulation minus the energy present at the end of the simulation, plus the energy supplied to the beam during the simulation. The energy present at any time can be found by doing a volume integral of the kinetic+elastic energy. The energy supplied is just calculated above.
Assuming that all work done by the piezo on the beam is done by a force perpendicular to the contact surface, I think you can calculate the total work done by the piezo on the beam by making a surface integral (subnode in derived values) and selecting the surface where the two materials touch, and putting as the expression 'pzd.sz*pzd.u_tZ', and integrating the resulting data series. The energy that has been dissipated by damping is the energy present in the beam at the start of the simulation minus the energy present at the end of the simulation, plus the energy supplied to the beam during the simulation. The energy present at any time can be found by doing a volume integral of the kinetic+elastic energy. The energy supplied is just calculated above.

Posted: 10 years ago 31.07.2014, 10:15 GMT-4

The energy that has been dissipated by damping is the energy present in the beam at the start of the simulation minus the energy present at the end of the simulation, plus the energy supplied to the beam during the simulation. The energy present at any time can be found by doing a volume integral of the kinetic+elastic energy. The energy supplied is just calculated above.

Thanks for your reply. I did not quite understand the energy present in the beam at the start of the simulation minus the energy present at the end of the simulation. As it is a time dependent study, I can calculate the energy at any time in terms of kinetic and elastic strain energy as you suggested, but I'm still not quite clear about the energy dissipated by damping. Does 'start' mean the energy at t0?

Thanks again.
[QUOTE] The energy that has been dissipated by damping is the energy present in the beam at the start of the simulation minus the energy present at the end of the simulation, plus the energy supplied to the beam during the simulation. The energy present at any time can be found by doing a volume integral of the kinetic+elastic energy. The energy supplied is just calculated above. [/QUOTE] Thanks for your reply. I did not quite understand the energy present in the beam at the start of the simulation minus the energy present at the end of the simulation. As it is a time dependent study, I can calculate the energy at any time in terms of kinetic and elastic strain energy as you suggested, but I'm still not quite clear about the energy dissipated by damping. Does 'start' mean the energy at t0? Thanks again.

Posted: 10 years ago 01.08.2014, 03:24 GMT-4
You can do it for any time frame, so suppose you want to know the energy dissipated through damping between time t1 and t2, and the total kinetic and elastic energy in the beam at time t are Ek(t) and Ee(t) respectively, the dissipated energy will be Wd=Ek(t2)+Ee(t2)-Ek(t1)-Ee(t1)+Wp, where Wp is the work done by the piezo between t1 and t2 (calculated by integrating stress*velocity (as described above) integrated over the contact surface and integrated from t1 to t2). (Here I have taken the convention that Wp is positive when the piezo has supplied more energy to the beam than that it has removed from it, so when the force exerted on the beam was generally in the same direction as the velocity of that part of the beam.)
You can do it for any time frame, so suppose you want to know the energy dissipated through damping between time t1 and t2, and the total kinetic and elastic energy in the beam at time t are Ek(t) and Ee(t) respectively, the dissipated energy will be Wd=Ek(t2)+Ee(t2)-Ek(t1)-Ee(t1)+Wp, where Wp is the work done by the piezo between t1 and t2 (calculated by integrating stress*velocity (as described above) integrated over the contact surface and integrated from t1 to t2). (Here I have taken the convention that Wp is positive when the piezo has supplied more energy to the beam than that it has removed from it, so when the force exerted on the beam was generally in the same direction as the velocity of that part of the beam.)

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.