Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

general question about mass fractions/transport

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have a basic question,
I have two reactors in contact with each other, both starting with the same initial conditions (equal amounts);
compound#1: solvent
Compund#2: A
compound#3: B
while in one of the reactors A is going to B and vice versa in the other reactor. I would assume that when I run the simulation, compounds A & B would diffuse ( the only physics added to the model being diffusion, no convection) and eventually reach a steady state. but when I run the simulation I get a negative mass fraction. how is that even possible?

4 Replies Last Post 21.09.2015, 04:49 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Aida Rouzmehr

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 9 years ago 19.09.2015, 09:37 GMT-4
Hi Aida,

I met the same problem as you. Have you figured out it and what's the problem?

yuhong
Hi Aida, I met the same problem as you. Have you figured out it and what's the problem? yuhong

Posted: 9 years ago 21.09.2015, 03:18 GMT-4
Is the reaction homogeneous or heterogeneous? What are the reaction rate equations? Which mass fraction goes negative? Are the reactors connected to each other? Where does diffusion take place?

Perhaps it would be easier to submit your model.

BR
Lasse
Is the reaction homogeneous or heterogeneous? What are the reaction rate equations? Which mass fraction goes negative? Are the reactors connected to each other? Where does diffusion take place? Perhaps it would be easier to submit your model. BR Lasse

Posted: 9 years ago 21.09.2015, 03:47 GMT-4
Hi Lasse,

Thank u for your valuable time and thinking about my problem.

In fact, I am dealing with the module of transport of concentrated species with homogeneous initial mass fraction of 3 components. There is a mass flux boundary for two of these components without reactions. The other boundary conditions are either no flux or symmetry. When I run the transient simulation to study the concentrations change, it shows correct result at the beginning while it turns out the mass fraction of one component is larger than 1 and the one from mass constrait is negative.

Do you have any ideas about reasons for the errors?

Yuhong
Hi Lasse, Thank u for your valuable time and thinking about my problem. In fact, I am dealing with the module of transport of concentrated species with homogeneous initial mass fraction of 3 components. There is a mass flux boundary for two of these components without reactions. The other boundary conditions are either no flux or symmetry. When I run the transient simulation to study the concentrations change, it shows correct result at the beginning while it turns out the mass fraction of one component is larger than 1 and the one from mass constrait is negative. Do you have any ideas about reasons for the errors? Yuhong

Posted: 9 years ago 21.09.2015, 04:49 GMT-4
Please reply to my questions.
Please reply to my questions.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.