Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Finding the Inductance of a Moving Spiral Coil

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,

I am trying to simulate an out-of-plane spiral coil that expands and contracts based on the change of its temperature. The spiral coil is exposed to a radio frequency field between 10 - 100 MHz.
I used Solid Mechanics model to simulate the movement of the spiral coil.
I want to find the inductance of the spiral coil while it is expanding and contracting. So, I used Magnetic and Electric Fields model. However, I could not get any results.

Any suggestions?

Best regards,
M.N

1 Reply Last Post 26.04.2014, 03:36 GMT-4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 26.04.2014, 03:36 GMT-4
Hi,
First, I would model the coil separately. The coil models in COMSOL are made of closed loops. Perhaps it is is sufficient for a first approach to use the two dimensional "single turn" model in the "magnetic fields" interface (activate the "coil group" Box to connect the windings).
As a next step I would calculate the 3dim-model of the coil. This is much more difficult. First you have to model the connectors. Either there are wires that lead to the model boundary or the two wires meet at a gap (Lumped port). A further difficulty is the mesh. If the wires are close together, the mesh will become very fine.
Incidentally, there are some tutorials about coils. To get a targeted help, you have to describe the problem more accurate or attach a model.

Best regards
Ueli
Hi, First, I would model the coil separately. The coil models in COMSOL are made of closed loops. Perhaps it is is sufficient for a first approach to use the two dimensional "single turn" model in the "magnetic fields" interface (activate the "coil group" Box to connect the windings). As a next step I would calculate the 3dim-model of the coil. This is much more difficult. First you have to model the connectors. Either there are wires that lead to the model boundary or the two wires meet at a gap (Lumped port). A further difficulty is the mesh. If the wires are close together, the mesh will become very fine. Incidentally, there are some tutorials about coils. To get a targeted help, you have to describe the problem more accurate or attach a model. Best regards Ueli

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.