Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Questions on transparent media refractive index in Surface to Surface Radiation modeling

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello Everyone,

I need some help verifying what I did in COMSOL 4.4. I wanted to model how a transparent glass layer with an opaque polymer layer beneath it changes structurally and thermally to solar radiation. For that, I used the Thermal Stress physics that combines the heat transfer and structural mechanics modules in COMSOL 4.4.

I used the Surface to Surface Radiation module to enable the External Radiation source option. My assumption is that the glass is always transparent to all solar radiation wavelengths and the polymer is always opaque, so as to simplify the problem. Also, I used an External radiation source at infinity instead of the actual Solar Position Radiation source. I have one Surface to Surface Radiation node for the surface in between the glass and polymer and one for the bottom surface of the polymer. I have convective cooling for the top and bottom surfaces of the system.

My first question is, what does the transparent media refractive index option in the main Heat Transfer in Solids node mean? Is it the refractive index of the ambient air or is it the refractive index of the glass? I plugged in the value of glass and got some results and for the value of air, I got some different results.
My second question is, is what I am doing correct in terms of the physics involved?

Thanks,
Mahesh

0 Replies Last Post 19.04.2014, 17:49 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Mahesh Manandhar

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.