Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Clarification of expression : (acos(tpf.intnormr)) [Capillary filling]

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hey all,

i'm planning to model the capillary filling of different geometries. As introduction i've been studying the example from comsol : microfluidics module --> Two-Phase-Flow --> Capillary filling ls

under definitions/variables 1a there is the expression for theta : (acos(tpf.intnormr))[1/deg]

Can anyone explain to me how this expression is set up ?
cause 1 : i can't find the theta anywhere else in the model (the contact angle is later on defined as 3/8*pi rad)
and 2: if i try to use this expression in my own model it won't accept it.

hope you can help me out.

regards,
Remco

1 Reply Last Post 17.09.2014, 03:53 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Remco Vos

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 10 years ago 17.09.2014, 03:53 GMT-4
Hi.

'intnormr' is defined in 'Filling of a Capillary Channel—Phase Field' example. Look for it in documentation.

It looks like that:

Name Expression Unit Description

intnormr d(phipf,r)/sqrt(d(phipf,r)^2+d(phipf,z)^2+eps) Interface normal, r component

theta (acos(intnormr))[1/deg] rad Contact angle
Hi. 'intnormr' is defined in 'Filling of a Capillary Channel—Phase Field' example. Look for it in documentation. It looks like that: Name Expression Unit Description intnormr d(phipf,r)/sqrt(d(phipf,r)^2+d(phipf,z)^2+eps) Interface normal, r component theta (acos(intnormr))[1/deg] rad Contact angle

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.