Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Which Current/Voltage Value is used by Coil Excitation in Coil Domain Interface: RMS or Amplitude?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

maybe someone can help me to figure out one "little" fundamental problem of understanding.

I build a modell of a coil which I would like to excitate with 10 Ampere RMS current. Further more I set up a study in the frequency domain at middle frequency-range 20 to 70 kHz.

Now I am a litte confused about which value is to be inserted as a Parameter of Coil Excitation in the Coil Domain Interface (e. g. Single-Turn or Multi-Turn Coil Domain): 10 or 10*sqrt(2) Ampere.

In the Documentation of "Coil Domains Feature" the talk is of "the total current or total voltage", but not of RMS or Amplitude?

Regards,
Denis

2 Replies Last Post 05.03.2014, 04:36 GMT-5

Posted: 1 decade ago 04.03.2014, 13:05 GMT-5
I had this exact same question awhile ago. This is what support came back with:

"When specifying current or voltage excitations, unless otherwise specified
the values you enter are peak values."

I had this exact same question awhile ago. This is what support came back with: "When specifying current or voltage excitations, unless otherwise specified the values you enter are peak values."

Posted: 1 decade ago 05.03.2014, 04:36 GMT-5
thank you Dennis, good to know I am not alone. Today I had an idea to test this with simple comsol modell and compare it to an analytical solution. I report my results here when it's done.

I had this exact same question awhile ago. This is what support came back with:

"When specifying current or voltage excitations, unless otherwise specified
the values you enter are peak values."

thank you Dennis, good to know I am not alone. Today I had an idea to test this with simple comsol modell and compare it to an analytical solution. I report my results here when it's done. [QUOTE] I had this exact same question awhile ago. This is what support came back with: "When specifying current or voltage excitations, unless otherwise specified the values you enter are peak values." [/QUOTE]

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.