Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

COMSOL simulation for heat and mass transfer across membrane for membrane distillation process

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
For your information, I am developing a COMSOL simulation for the direct contact membrane distillation (DCMD) process. It is actually a process which involve the heat and mass transfer from the bottom cell (hot feed side) across the membrane (porous medium) and reach the upper cell (cold permeate side).

upper cell (hot feed side) --> heat convection
membrane (hydrophobic) --> heat convection (water evaporation) + heat conduction in membrane
lower cell (cold permeate side) --> heat convection (vapor condense back to water)

I am currently using 2 physics which are conjugate heat transfer + free and porous media flow.
I was able to simulate the convective heat transfer at the upper and lower cell + heat conduction in membrane matrix. However, no mass flux was flowing across the membrane, which means no heat convection was developed within the membrane.

Thus I would like to ask is it possible to simulate the heat convection through membrane together with the flows at the cells? How do I link the three layers together so that there is fluid flowing from the bottom to the upper side?

Thanks for your time and wish you have a good day.

Patricia

1 Reply Last Post 15.07.2014, 11:10 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Patwhy

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 15.07.2014, 11:10 GMT-4
I am interested in doing similar thing for Air-Gap MD, but I don't have a clue of how to start yet. I will be happy to discuss further with you on how you proceed. Can you share some information with me?
Thank you.
I am interested in doing similar thing for Air-Gap MD, but I don't have a clue of how to start yet. I will be happy to discuss further with you on how you proceed. Can you share some information with me? Thank you.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.