Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Scattering of a plane wave by a nanosphere

Otavio de Brito Silva

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have been tried to simulate the scattering of a plane wave by a single metallic nanosphere using the RF Module, however with no success. During the computation process, an error message was shown. The message informed me that a problem in 'domain 18' due the definition of x component from electric field (emw.Ex) prevented the program to evaluate my model effectively.

The domain 18 corresponds to the substrate which nanosphere is embedded. Its refractive index was fixed in 1.5 (BK7 glass). The wavelength of incident plane wave was 500 nm. The nanosphere simulated in my model was constituted by gold (Au).

I did not understand the problem, because I defined a spatial harmonic dependence for the fields' components in the glass. I followed the steps from a similar model that there is in COMSOL website (model gallery), named 'Scatterer on a Substrate' and even with this model I've had the same problem.

Please, does anybody know how I could overcome such problem?
Best regards

0 Replies Last Post 19.02.2014, 15:14 GMT-5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Otavio de Brito Silva

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.