Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Band diagram of 3D periodic photonic crystals

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I try to calculate band diagram for 3D photonic crystal using RF module (version 4.4). At first, for the sake of simplicity, I plot a cubic unit cell and set Floquet boundary conditions (3 pairs). Then I solve eigenvalue problem using Bloch vector components as parameters.

When I start the calculation Comsol gives me an ERORR "Inconsistent uni-directional constraint".

In 2D case (square unit cell) all works. What am I doing wrong?

Many thanks in advance!

Andrey

5 Replies Last Post 06.12.2016, 14:27 GMT-5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Michael Petrov

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago 18.07.2014, 16:13 GMT-4
Hi,

I have attempted simulating a 2d phononic band gap structures using the structural mechanics module and floquet periodic boundary conditions on 2 pairs of surfaces, and I am also seeing the error "Inconsistent uni-directional constraint". I noticed that making the mesh finer solves the issue, but I still get occasional errors which hinders me from doing batch simulations

Has anyone else had a similar experience and devised ways to overcome this?
Hi, I have attempted simulating a 2d phononic band gap structures using the structural mechanics module and floquet periodic boundary conditions on 2 pairs of surfaces, and I am also seeing the error "Inconsistent uni-directional constraint". I noticed that making the mesh finer solves the issue, but I still get occasional errors which hinders me from doing batch simulations Has anyone else had a similar experience and devised ways to overcome this?

Posted: 9 years ago 13.04.2015, 12:27 GMT-4
Hi, Andrey,
Did you solve that problem? I meet the same problem, could you give me some suggestions? Thank you.

Echo

Hi, Andrey, Did you solve that problem? I meet the same problem, could you give me some suggestions? Thank you. Echo

Radwanul Hasan Siddique

Posted: 9 years ago 05.06.2015, 15:15 GMT-4
Hi guys,

I am facing the similar problem. Any solution??

Thanks in advance.

Greetings,
Radwan
Hi guys, I am facing the similar problem. Any solution?? Thanks in advance. Greetings, Radwan

Posted: 8 years ago 16.07.2016, 18:49 GMT-4
Hey all,

I found a solution. I have been using this to model 3D photonic crystals with Floquet BCs along one axis, and I kept getting this same error. It went away once I started copying the face from one side of the continuity to the other.

Good luck!
Hey all, I found a solution. I have been using this to model 3D photonic crystals with Floquet BCs along one axis, and I kept getting this same error. It went away once I started copying the face from one side of the continuity to the other. Good luck!

Posted: 8 years ago 06.12.2016, 14:27 GMT-5
Dear Orad,

I am currently wokrking on the same problem but copying the face from one side of the continuity to the other did not work for me.

Would you be willing to share your model file with me? I would simplify things very much for my.

Kind regards,

Henrik
Dear Orad, I am currently wokrking on the same problem but copying the face from one side of the continuity to the other did not work for me. Would you be willing to share your model file with me? I would simplify things very much for my. Kind regards, Henrik

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.