Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

AC/DC , Single / Multi-turn / Group coil domains !

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear COMSOLer's !

I am relatively new to COMSOL and i am still trying to get things understood right , i still have a lot of questions and i will be really grateful if someone could help !

what is the difference between single , multi, or coil group domain ?
why i cant do each coil as a single turn ?! how COMSOL treat coil physics ?
and what if i need to charge the coil from an external circuit ? which turn is the input and which is output ?

i will be really grateful if any could help

3 Replies Last Post 26.06.2014, 01:58 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 19.01.2014, 07:12 GMT-5
www.comsol.com/models/acdc-module
some models will be helpful.
http://www.comsol.com/models/acdc-module some models will be helpful.

Posted: 1 decade ago 25.06.2014, 08:06 GMT-4
that was really helpful
thank you so much for your reply.

i still have some issues with coils ! i am trying to simulate a 10 turns spiral coil in 2D ( not Axisymmetric )
i built 10 separated rectangles to represents the coil turns. Now , five of them should have reversed current direction which i managed to do using the Single- Turn Coil options. However, i still didn't get how the " Coil group " check box functions ? and after checking the box i have this option of " Domain Group " ! . the Help information was really shallow and i couldn't get the deference !
So ; it will be really great if you can explain more about these features in COMSOL 4.4

Coil group ?
Domain Group ?
and is there any deference in such cases between 2D and 2D Axisymmetric ?
what i should use for my case ?
a picture is attached for more understanding

Best Regards ;
that was really helpful thank you so much for your reply. i still have some issues with coils ! i am trying to simulate a 10 turns spiral coil in 2D ( not Axisymmetric ) i built 10 separated rectangles to represents the coil turns. Now , five of them should have reversed current direction which i managed to do using the Single- Turn Coil options. However, i still didn't get how the " Coil group " check box functions ? and after checking the box i have this option of " Domain Group " ! . the Help information was really shallow and i couldn't get the deference ! So ; it will be really great if you can explain more about these features in COMSOL 4.4 Coil group ? Domain Group ? and is there any deference in such cases between 2D and 2D Axisymmetric ? what i should use for my case ? a picture is attached for more understanding Best Regards ;

Posted: 1 decade ago 26.06.2014, 01:58 GMT-4
Hi,

say for simplicity there a two rectangles representing this coil.

If you uncheck "coil group" the two rectangles will be treated as one
solid piece of conductor. In a way you can say the two wires are in parallel and
the voltage drop over the rectangles is equal.

If you check "coil group" then the wires are connected in series and the
total current over the rectangles are equal.

The "domain group" now lets you mix parallel and series connection, but
I have not yet used this myself.

Regards

Jens
Hi, say for simplicity there a two rectangles representing this coil. If you uncheck "coil group" the two rectangles will be treated as one solid piece of conductor. In a way you can say the two wires are in parallel and the voltage drop over the rectangles is equal. If you check "coil group" then the wires are connected in series and the total current over the rectangles are equal. The "domain group" now lets you mix parallel and series connection, but I have not yet used this myself. Regards Jens

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.