Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to simulation thermal expansion with a T dependent CTE

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I would like to simulate the thermal expansion of an combined object from cryo temperature to room temperature.

My current conditions are:
COMSOL version 3.5a,
simulation model is smsld,
the CTE (alpha) is defined as a function of T (Temp_smsld),
reference temperature is defined as Tinit (1K),
strain temperature is defined as Tfinal (which is controlled by the simulation from 1K-300K).

Simulations I tried are parametric and time dependent.
The simulation results I obtained were the program used the alpha at Tfinal to calculate the expansion of object from Tinit to Tfinal, e.g. alpha(Tfinal)*(Tfinal-Tinit), which is not correct.
The expected calculation should be the Integration from Tinit to Tfinal of alpha(T).

Do you have any suggestion on doing such a simulation?

2 Replies Last Post 28.10.2014, 13:21 GMT-4
Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 17.12.2013, 09:15 GMT-5
Hi Qunfeng,

You should pre-integrate the instantaneous thermal expansion coefficient with respect to temperature and use the resulting expression in COMSOL.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Hi Qunfeng, You should pre-integrate the instantaneous thermal expansion coefficient with respect to temperature and use the resulting expression in COMSOL. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 10 years ago 28.10.2014, 13:21 GMT-4
I'm having the same issue. Are there any better solutions than having to integrate beforehand?
I'm having the same issue. Are there any better solutions than having to integrate beforehand?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.