Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How do I retrieve cross- and co-polarization T/R data from heterogeneous periodic structures in 3-D?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

COMSOL'ers:

I have a complex periodic array structure (dipole on substrate on ground plane) illuminated by an oblique plane wave. If I were to define an incidence plane (say x-z plane) and launch a TM mode wave along this plane (k(x,z) and H(x,y)=Hy), then how can I separate the results into their co- and cross-polarized components? If I were to extract a reflectance from the S11 parameter, it would consist of the reflected energy from along both polarization basis vectors (x and y). I would like to isolate these responses, to identify what, if anything, is coming from a rotation of the incident field upon interaction with the structure.

Calculating some sort of ratio of abs(Ex)^2+abs(Ez)^2 and abs(Ey)^2 to abs(normE)^2 gives me some sort of indication of co- and cross-pol, respectively, but it doesn't seem to be a true answer. Any thoughts?

Thank you for your time and consideration!

-Bryan

1 Reply Last Post 29.06.2016, 05:40 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Bryan Adomanis

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 8 years ago 29.06.2016, 05:40 GMT-4
Hello,
I met the same problem with you. Have you solved this problem? If yes, could you please share the answer with me?
Thank you!
Hello, I met the same problem with you. Have you solved this problem? If yes, could you please share the answer with me? Thank you!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.