Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to add a condition on the mode solver when using the parametric sweep?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am using the RF module of COMSOL 4.3b to determine the effective refractive index of the modes of a waveguide as a function of the wavelength (for instance between 600 and 700 nm). I am therefore using the parametric sweep in wavelength and then run the mode analysis to have the effective index for each wavelength.

For the fundamental mode it works well. I first do a modal analysis for the initial wavelength to determine the initial effective index and be able to complete the "search for modes around". Then I run the modal analysis and the effective indices in all the wavelength range correspond to the fundamental mode.

So this method works for the fundamental mode because its effective index varies quite slowly with the wavelength and all the results are still around the initial "search for modes around". However I have some troubles with the first order mode, if I do a parameter sweep of more than 5 nm the resulting effective index are not the ones of the first order mode anymore. And this is because of the condition "search for modes around" that limits the result around this value and prevent the software to look for lower indices.

So my question is: can I add a condition on the mode solver when doing wavelength sweep? For instance instead of always having the same value for "search for modes around", would it be possible to make the software use the last effective index obtained as a starting point for the next calculation?
Or to add a condition on the consecutive results such as neff (i+1) < neff (i)?

Thank you!

3 Replies Last Post 21.07.2015, 11:01 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 28.11.2013, 11:47 GMT-5
Good question, always thinking about it! Unfortunately haven't figured it out.

Good question, always thinking about it! Unfortunately haven't figured it out.

Posted: 1 decade ago 29.11.2013, 03:50 GMT-5
Right? I have seen a few posts on similar topics but no answer... However it is hard to believe that COMSOL does not let us do that, there must be a way...
Right? I have seen a few posts on similar topics but no answer... However it is hard to believe that COMSOL does not let us do that, there must be a way...

Posted: 9 years ago 21.07.2015, 11:01 GMT-4
you can do so by writing a script using LiveLink for matlab, I know this post is old so if you solved this issue can you point me to what you did as I'am facing the same problem now.
you can do so by writing a script using LiveLink for matlab, I know this post is old so if you solved this issue can you point me to what you did as I'am facing the same problem now.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.