Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

PID with constraints

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi All,

I have implemented a PID temperature controller in my model that controls the voltage applied to a resistive heater to achieve a set temperature. However the PID algorithm achieves this setpoint by applying voltages outside of whats practical for my system to achieve the shortest rise time.

I want to know how to constrain my voltage applied so that it only solves for and applies voltages within practical limits say V_ctrl<20. I tried using a global constraint in the ODE interface but it does not constrain the voltage.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Alex

2 Replies Last Post 07.11.2013, 14:06 GMT-5
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 07.11.2013, 13:21 GMT-5
Alex,

difficult to give an advice without knowing anything about your implementation. In a PID controller the control variable depends on the P, I and D parameters. But as you implemented the thing I am sure you know that. Are you using the I and D parameters? Particularly D can be tricky.

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Alex, difficult to give an advice without knowing anything about your implementation. In a PID controller the control variable depends on the P, I and D parameters. But as you implemented the thing I am sure you know that. Are you using the I and D parameters? Particularly D can be tricky. Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Posted: 1 decade ago 07.11.2013, 14:06 GMT-5
Thanks for the reply Edgar.

Yes I just needed to do some more tuning to get my control variable where it needed to be.

Thanks for the reply Edgar. Yes I just needed to do some more tuning to get my control variable where it needed to be.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.