Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to set r, phi, z coorditanes for 3D modeling

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone!
Please help.
How to set r, phi, z coorditanes for 3D modeling? They are only in 1D/2D - axisymmetric models, but i need to set some heat source in cylindrical coordinates in my 3D model.
Sorry for my bad English.

4 Replies Last Post 30.10.2013, 06:43 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 30.10.2013, 02:14 GMT-4
Hi, Mikhail.

Right Click on the Definitions section in your model, then Coordinate Systems -> Cylindrical System
Hi, Mikhail. Right Click on the Definitions section in your model, then Coordinate Systems -> Cylindrical System

Posted: 1 decade ago 30.10.2013, 05:07 GMT-4
Oh! So easy! =) Thx!)
And how can I use this additional coord. system in calculation (for example, in HeatSource that have cylindrical geometry), because new coord. system don't replace old system....? In x,y,z system it is Q(x,y,z). After adding the new system, the program still does not see the new coordinates and record Q(r,phi,z) does not work. Maybe I should be so set Q(sys2(r),sys2(phi),sys2(z))??
Oh! So easy! =) Thx!) And how can I use this additional coord. system in calculation (for example, in HeatSource that have cylindrical geometry), because new coord. system don't replace old system....? In x,y,z system it is Q(x,y,z). After adding the new system, the program still does not see the new coordinates and record Q(r,phi,z) does not work. Maybe I should be so set Q(sys2(r),sys2(phi),sys2(z))??

Posted: 1 decade ago 30.10.2013, 05:16 GMT-4

Hi, Mikhail.
Right Click on the Definitions section in your model, then Coordinate Systems -> Cylindrical System

Oh! So easy! =) Thx!)
And how can I use this additional coord. system in calculation (for example, in HeatSource that have cylindrical geometry), because new coord. system don't replace old system....? In x,y,z system it is Q(x,y,z). After adding the new system, the program still does not see the new coordinates and record Q(r,phi,z) does not work. Maybe I should be so set Q(sys2(r),sys2(phi),sys2(z))??
[QUOTE] Hi, Mikhail. Right Click on the Definitions section in your model, then Coordinate Systems -> Cylindrical System [/QUOTE] Oh! So easy! =) Thx!) And how can I use this additional coord. system in calculation (for example, in HeatSource that have cylindrical geometry), because new coord. system don't replace old system....? In x,y,z system it is Q(x,y,z). After adding the new system, the program still does not see the new coordinates and record Q(r,phi,z) does not work. Maybe I should be so set Q(sys2(r),sys2(phi),sys2(z))??

Posted: 1 decade ago 30.10.2013, 06:43 GMT-4
In physics for some domains you can choose Cylindrical System under Coordinate System Selection (by default it's Global Coordinate System).
In physics for some domains you can choose Cylindrical System under Coordinate System Selection (by default it's Global Coordinate System).

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.