Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Flux variable is not converged - Heat transfer

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am performing a Heat Transfer in Solids simulation. It runs "fine" and the results seems reasonable but I get a warning in the end that reads: Flux variable is not converged. Does anybody knows what this mean?

Thanks,
Anderson.

4 Replies Last Post 10.12.2014, 05:11 GMT-5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Anderson Singulani

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 10 years ago 09.12.2014, 10:30 GMT-5
Hi!

I get the same warning during a simulation of heat transfer in fluids and solids. Did you find out what it means?

Thanks,

Judith
Hi! I get the same warning during a simulation of heat transfer in fluids and solids. Did you find out what it means? Thanks, Judith

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 10 years ago 10.12.2014, 02:09 GMT-5
Hi

my best guess is that the coherence between the different fluxes calculated over your boundaries is not precise enough for a given criteria, could be a too course mesh or some singularity points.

Have you tried to do some local mesh refinements ?

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi my best guess is that the coherence between the different fluxes calculated over your boundaries is not precise enough for a given criteria, could be a too course mesh or some singularity points. Have you tried to do some local mesh refinements ? -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 10 years ago 10.12.2014, 02:40 GMT-5
Hi Judith!

To be honest, I still don't know precisely what Comsol try to inform us with this message, but I had the same interpretation as Ivar. A finer mesh didn't help me back there, but I simplified a bit the geometry and after that the warning disappeared.

Kind regards,
Anderson.
Hi Judith! To be honest, I still don't know precisely what Comsol try to inform us with this message, but I had the same interpretation as Ivar. A finer mesh didn't help me back there, but I simplified a bit the geometry and after that the warning disappeared. Kind regards, Anderson.

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 10 years ago 10.12.2014, 05:11 GMT-5
Hi,

This message appears when the computation of 'accurate boundary fluxes' fails for some reason. It does not mean that the solution is bad in any other respect, or that flux conservation is bad. It only means that the postprocessing variables for the boundary are not useful.

To learn more about the boundary flux variables, please refer to 'Computing Accurate Fluxes', 'Boundary Heat Fluxes', and 'Internal Boundary Heat Fluxes' in the documentation.

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, This message appears when the computation of 'accurate boundary fluxes' fails for some reason. It does not mean that the solution is bad in any other respect, or that flux conservation is bad. It only means that the postprocessing variables for the boundary are not useful. To learn more about the boundary flux variables, please refer to 'Computing Accurate Fluxes', 'Boundary Heat Fluxes', and 'Internal Boundary Heat Fluxes' in the documentation. Regards, Henrik

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.