Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

viscoelastic fluid structure interaction

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear All,

I have a new problem that I'd like to model it with COMSOL but I wonder if it can do it.
I'd like to model a simple fluid structure interaction system but, with a viscoelastic fluid. All of the solved models in this area consider a Newtonian fluid however, I'd like to replace it with viscoelastic fluid.
Would you please tell me is it possible to model it with my current 3.5 COMSOL? and how?

3 Replies Last Post 07.10.2013, 17:30 GMT-4
Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 07.10.2013, 16:27 GMT-4
Dear Mostapha,

There is a very good COMSOL example showing how to setup a fluid analysis with a viscoelastic fluid. It is Model ID 4383 titled “Flow of Oldroyd-B Viscoelastic Fluid”. It is relatively complicated because you have to setup the general form PDE that tracks the evolution of the viscous stress, but the example shows a lot of details. I don't know how much of that is possible with version 3.5.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Dear Mostapha, There is a very good COMSOL example showing how to setup a fluid analysis with a viscoelastic fluid. It is Model ID 4383 titled “Flow of Oldroyd-B Viscoelastic Fluid”. It is relatively complicated because you have to setup the general form PDE that tracks the evolution of the viscous stress, but the example shows a lot of details. I don't know how much of that is possible with version 3.5. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 1 decade ago 07.10.2013, 16:50 GMT-4
Dear Nagi,

Thank you for your reply. I had seen that example however, I have to add moving mesh module (ALE) to be able to analyze FSI in viscoelastic fluid. Which I did but it is not enough!
Which version is suitable for kind of problems like mine?

Thanks a lot.
Mostapha
Dear Nagi, Thank you for your reply. I had seen that example however, I have to add moving mesh module (ALE) to be able to analyze FSI in viscoelastic fluid. Which I did but it is not enough! Which version is suitable for kind of problems like mine? Thanks a lot. Mostapha

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 07.10.2013, 17:30 GMT-4
That is interesting. It should get a little more complicated with ALE but I believe it’s doable. I haven’t tried any such examples so I can’t really provide any specific insight. Regarding the version that is an easy question … the latest one!

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
That is interesting. It should get a little more complicated with ALE but I believe it’s doable. I haven’t tried any such examples so I can’t really provide any specific insight. Regarding the version that is an easy question … the latest one! Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.