Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

error in impedance calculation of multi-turn domain

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I would like to calculate the impedance of a coil in a 3d model. For that I solve the problem in the frequency domain for several relatively low frequencies. I therefore can neglect the skin effect in the wires of the coil. I noticed that the real part of the impedance is higher than what you would expect. Investigating further where this error does come from I noticed that the imaginary part of the magnetic field has very high values. These then result in very high values in the electric field within the coil domain generating a high real part of the induced voltage in the coil. The problem is solved when I set the conductivity in the coil domain to the proper value for copper. However, doing so will of course decrease the calculated impedance of the coil.

Is there a solution to this problem?

I attached a simple model of a coil in air to demonstrate the problem.

0 Replies Last Post 05.09.2013, 05:23 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Michael Kirschneck

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.