Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Heat Transfer in a Furnace

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello. If I want to model heat transfer in an object inside a furnace that is heating up according to a time-dependent temperature function, what is the best way to simulate the heating conditions? Do I simply create a boundary around the object being heated and assign the temperature of that boundary to the function that describes the temperature, or is there another way? It seems that the way mentioned above will not accurately model the circumstances because now there is a layer of air separating the heated boundary and the object, and I would like to have the environment right next to the surface of the object follow the temperature curve instead. I am working in a 2D model, FYI.

Thanks!

1 Reply Last Post 16.10.2013, 08:51 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Joshua Fan

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 16.10.2013, 08:51 GMT-4
Hello. I have the same issue with you.
I agree with your assumption, since it is a complicated procedure in the furnace, which includes radiation, heat convection and conduction in the air, and heat conduction in the sample.
How do you set up the time dependent temperature in the boundary condition?
Thanks
Hello. I have the same issue with you. I agree with your assumption, since it is a complicated procedure in the furnace, which includes radiation, heat convection and conduction in the air, and heat conduction in the sample. How do you set up the time dependent temperature in the boundary condition? Thanks

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.