Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Electromechanical Response of Comb Drive and Folded Spring

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am trying to simulate the electromechanical response of a comb drive capacitor and flexure folded spring. However, I have been struggling with creating the proper meshing and receiving the correct response from the device. In the model I have attached I cannot change the mesh size without it failing. Also, the simulations will not allowing me to apply over 25 volts without failing and giving me the following error message.

Failed to find a solution.
In segregated group 3:
Very ill-conditioned preconditioner.
The relative residual is more than 1000 times larger than the relative tolerance.
Returned solution has not converged.

I have been using COMSOL for several months, but do not have a very deep understanding of it yet. I am not quite sure what I am doing wrong here. Any advice? Thanks!

1 Reply Last Post 19.08.2013, 11:55 GMT-4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 19.08.2013, 11:55 GMT-4
anyone have any ideas? I am really unsure of what I can do to resolve this problem.
anyone have any ideas? I am really unsure of what I can do to resolve this problem.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.