Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to export deformed structure from COMSOL?

Sarath Gopalakrishnan

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I simulated a MEMS module based structure in COMSOL. I obtained the deformed structure after doing the simulation. I want to export the deformed structure so that it can be used for further analysis in Electromagnetic simulations. Is it possible to export the deformed structure? I found "exporting deformed mesh" as a release highlight in 4.3 version. Is it same as exporting the structure? Please help. Thanks in advance.

5 Replies Last Post 23.02.2014, 08:48 GMT-5

Posted: 1 decade ago 05.08.2013, 13:51 GMT-4
I am working on a similar problem currently. I think it is a just a click of a button process. Under meshes, you can see the deformed mesh configuration. You can use the exported file as the geometry for your new simulation by simply importing it.

My model is 2D axisymmetric and when I import my deformed geometry it doesn't let me activate the axial symmetry condition for my flow simulations. But I think it should work fine for you.

Thank you,
Sanket
I am working on a similar problem currently. I think it is a just a click of a button process. Under meshes, you can see the deformed mesh configuration. You can use the exported file as the geometry for your new simulation by simply importing it. My model is 2D axisymmetric and when I import my deformed geometry it doesn't let me activate the axial symmetry condition for my flow simulations. But I think it should work fine for you. Thank you, Sanket

Sarath Gopalakrishnan

Posted: 1 decade ago 06.08.2013, 00:27 GMT-4
Thank you very much for the reply.
I am working on a 3D design. I am not sure where to find the deformed mesh. Could you please help me with this?
Thank you very much for the reply. I am working on a 3D design. I am not sure where to find the deformed mesh. Could you please help me with this?

Posted: 1 decade ago 06.08.2013, 18:10 GMT-4
Have you figure this out? I must be dense, because I can't figure out how to simply export a deformed mesh either. I tried right clicking on Results->Data Sets->Solution 1->Remesh Deformed Configuration, but it only gives the initial un-deformed mesh. I can plot the deformed mesh.......but how to export it to use in another model?!!

Thanks!
Have you figure this out? I must be dense, because I can't figure out how to simply export a deformed mesh either. I tried right clicking on Results->Data Sets->Solution 1->Remesh Deformed Configuration, but it only gives the initial un-deformed mesh. I can plot the deformed mesh.......but how to export it to use in another model?!! Thanks!

Posted: 1 decade ago 07.08.2013, 14:34 GMT-4

Have you figure this out? I must be dense, because I can't figure out how to simply export a deformed mesh either. I tried right clicking on Results->Data Sets->Solution 1->Remesh Deformed Configuration, but it only gives the initial un-deformed mesh. I can plot the deformed mesh.......but how to export it to use in another model?!!

Thanks!

OK, I figured out to export a deformed geometry using, Results->Data Sets->Solution 1->Remesh Deformed Configuration, the "include geometric nonlinearity " seemingly needs to be checked, tho I don't know why. My issue is that I need the deformed mesh, not the deformed geometry remeshed. Anybody know how this is done?

thanks!
[QUOTE] Have you figure this out? I must be dense, because I can't figure out how to simply export a deformed mesh either. I tried right clicking on Results->Data Sets->Solution 1->Remesh Deformed Configuration, but it only gives the initial un-deformed mesh. I can plot the deformed mesh.......but how to export it to use in another model?!! Thanks! [/QUOTE] OK, I figured out to export a deformed geometry using, Results->Data Sets->Solution 1->Remesh Deformed Configuration, the "include geometric nonlinearity " seemingly needs to be checked, tho I don't know why. My issue is that I need the deformed mesh, not the deformed geometry remeshed. Anybody know how this is done? thanks!

Posted: 1 decade ago 23.02.2014, 08:48 GMT-5
Have you figure it out, i am doing something similiar.
Have you figure it out, i am doing something similiar.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.